50H81 vs 50HX81

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Moreau, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Chris Moreau

Chris Moreau Stunt Coordinator

I realize that the 50HX81 is the newer model, but does anyone know what the differences are between the two sets? The reason I ask is that even though I can get the HX81 on the web at at a good price, it will come to about the same price as the H81 at a local outlet when shipping charges are added.
    [Edited last by Chris Moreau on October 29, 2001 at 12:30 PM]

2. JohnHN

JohnHN Stunt Coordinator

The H81 and the HX81 are both 2002 models; neither is newer than the other, althogh the HX81 was released a bit later. Toshiba has positioned the HX81 as being more upscale (Acura rather than Honda).
    The HX81 has an anti-glare screen, which brings glare down to levels that are competitive with other brands; glare on the H81 can be bad. The HX81 has a nicer remote. There are a number of other differences (different lenses etc) but it is not clear whether these translate into a better picture. There was one post that suggested that the phosphors in the HX81 might last longer.
    If you do a search both here and at the Spot you can find a large number of posts on this topic.

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

All the optics on the HX are superior, including CRTs, lenses, lenticular screen and protective screen. Easily worth the difference in price, in my opinion.
    Anybody who questions the difference in picture quality hasn't seen two calibrated sets side-by-side.
    [Edited last by JohnnyG on October 30, 2001 at 03:48 PM]