50H81 Geometry Overlay file available!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnnyG, Aug 22, 2001.

1. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Well, I needed one, so I made one. This is scaled from the 56" file and may be off by a millimeter or two in places (certainly not enough to effect the picture though). Mine worked out great.
    The new 'Touch Focus' system makes this whole procedure a breeze! Just enter the service convergence in any video mode, align to the overlay, press 7 to save and press the Touch Focus button when told to do so. This will automatically align all other modes - and it does it perfectly!
    http://www.nbtelectronics.com/files/...a_overlays.htm
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics

2. GaryP

GaryP Second Unit

Johnny,
    I've read numerous other posts (not necessarily here)claiming that using the 'Touch Focus' prompt after the service menu convergence screws up your entire effort. Further, it's mentioned that you should completely skip the 'Touch Focus' completely and converge each mode separately. Any further insight into this matter?
    Gary
    [Edited last by GaryP on August 22, 2001 at 05:46 PM]

3. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

I cannot comment specifically on the new Toshiba models, but I will share my experience with the Sony sets, which use a similar automatic convergence system.
    The instructions for the Sony sets were the same, as far as using the service level convergence. First you were to perform the convergence adjustment manually using the special grid available in the service mode. The service manual specifically states that after performing this adjustment, you were to push the Touch Focus button.
    Contrary to what anyone might say, on the Sony sets, doing so would negate ALL of the work you had just done in service mode. So why do they tell you to do this? Simple. Remember, these service manuals are for service techs, not the average consumer. The point of pushing the Touch Focus button is to ensure that the reference points the optical sensors behind the screen use are still aligned so that the automatic convergence function still works. That way, the tech can be assured that when the set goes back to the consumer, the Touch Focus button will still work and not return an error message.
    But rest assured, on the Sony sets anyway, pressing this button will undo all the good you have done. The best way around this is obvious - do the service convergence, but don't push the Touch Focus button. Those who are anal about their video quality will have no qualms with this - as we often spend more time in convergence mode than watching the bloody thing! [​IMG]
    Of course, the Toshiba sets may be different, but my guess is the concept is the same.
    ------------------
    "They're coming to get you Barbara..."

4. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

I think feedback from the pros is definitely needed here.
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I've done 2 50H81's so far (unfortunately one died soon after) and the Touch Focus did not affect my manual work by even a single pixel.
    Touch focus seems to do nothing more than align all 3 grids on the top/bottom/sides. It does not seem to change the relationship between points on the convergence grid. If you intentially mis-align one point on the grid, hitting Touch Focus won't change it.
    ------------------
    John Golitsis

6. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Please pardon the newbie questions, but I haven't had a "hands-on" with a Toshiba HDTV. I was reading the manual for the 50h81, and it looks like there is only a single-point convergence option from the main menus. Is this correct? Is the multiple point convergence setting availible only through service menus? If so, does accessing the service options void your warranty?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    ------------------
    DVD List

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Dave, from the user menus, there is a 9-point convergence system available. Within the service menus, there is a 56-point convergence system.
    I don't think that just accessing the service menu can void your warranty, but messing with the wrong parameter and subsequently damaging something could.
    ------------------
    John Golitsis

8. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Thanks John. I was sold on the 50hx81 until I saw that 1 point convergence screen. That would've been a deal-breaker!
    -Dave (Who will rest easier, knowing that there 56 points of convergence in his future)
    ------------------
    DVD List