50GB DL Blu-Ray discs shipping, are Movie discs next?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by David Galindo, Aug 16, 2006.

1. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

2. Pete T C

Pete T C Second Unit

No the 50GB discs have been available for quite awhile in Japan. Getting pressed 50GB to work is a lot different than BD-R.

3. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Ok, I didnt know. Sorry about that. [​IMG]

4. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

Can you elaborate more on that? I could sure use the info to explain to potential customers if they ask.

5. Ryan-G

Ryan-G Supporting Actor

How so?

It took some time for CD's to make the move from read only to writable, took some time for DVD's to make the same move. Would be extremely odd for BR to be able to release writables but not be able to release read only.

In fact, HD-DVD is available in read only, but isn't even on the horizion as a writable.

I can't see how the read only is more difficult to produce than a writable, they both have the same properties, but the read only's benefit from being burned from a commercial grade while the writables have to be burnable on consumer hardware.

You'll have to forgive my questioning, but in honesty your signature says to me there's an agenda here.

6. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Well, to be fair Memorex is apparently shipping 15GB single layer discs. Yes, dual-layer HD DVD seems at this moment to be a future thing. But recordable HD DVD is happening as well.

Memorex? Yeesh. I avoid those in ANY media, be it CD, DVD, or DVD+DL.
    I also read Hitachi was making HD DVD media. That would be much better.

So far I've only seen TDK's BD-Rs and REs in 25GB single layer at this time.

7. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

But the facts are that pressed BD50 discs aren't here, and there's no indication of when they will be here. Black Hawk Down, one of the first BD50 titles, has been postponed indefinitely. All this despite the fact that BD50 writeables are here.

8. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Second Unit

they are going to sell the empty discs for $50. I don't know how this works,but is taht a indication tha movies on Dual layered BD is going to be more expensice than singlelayered