What's new

50ft cable for subwoofer cable-help (1 Viewer)

Sri

Agent
Hello,
I'm looking for a 50ft xlr cable to connect Velodyne DD-12 to B&K Ref 50. I don't know where to look for such a long cable other than music stores. If you've any ideas or have purchased before, please let me know. Of course, if I can find one for under $200, that would be great. Thanks

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
www.signalcable.com

Frank will hand build you a custom one, for less than $200. No affiliation, but I've bought a bunch of products from him, and it's good stuff. Other smaller cable companies might be a good bet too.

Rick-S

Agent
I agree with Chris on www.bluejeanscable.com. I just ordered 45 feet of their best quality and I only paid about 65.00. I listened for a variation in sound quality when comparing it to 20 feet of Monster 300 and could not tell a difference.
I am more than happy with the purchase. Just remember, it doesn't take "super" cable to carry a bass frequency.

Dean Mar

Stunt Coordinator
Blue Jeans Cable is a great way to go. I am using one of their 40 foot cables from my B&K AVR307 to my Tumult Sub.

Works perfect and their prices are reasonable. :)

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, no sonic difference between any quality cable. However, I like the sub cable Monster provides because it is of a small profile, very flexible, and a neutral color.
All those attributes are important to me, especially for long runs. Actually, it's the only Monster cable I use. :)

Paul D. K.

Stunt Coordinator
Sri -

I'm looking at the DD-15 with the Ref. 50 - 45 ft. run. I've talked with B&K tech support as well as Velodyne tech support and they were unanimous that for the length I was running, and due to the fact that both pieces of equipment support a true Balanced cable (3 conductors - Pos., Neg. and Neutral), that I should get a balanced cable. The Ref. 50 has a differential circuit that monitors the cable and will adjust the signal by +/- 6db not just XLR connectors!!!

I know Audioquest has them, Monster doesn't, not sure of anyone else. Let me know what you find out.

StanG

Grip
I'll second what TanT said - buy some quad shielded RG6 cable at Home Depot, retminate the ends with F-connectors and then use the F to RCA adapters. You will be hard pressed to find something better - at any price point.

Sri

Agent
Hi All,
This is truly great information. Thanks for taking time to post these messages. I contacted blue jeans, signal and cobalt so far. Price wise, Signal and cobalt is similar and blue jeans is almost half price. Waiting for a reply from blue jeans and will decide.
As far as using RG6, that's exactly what I used before but would like to take advantage of Xlr connection which I didn't have before and also because the run is 50ft.

Paul-I will let you know which one I will end up purchasing.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

Paul D. K.

Stunt Coordinator
Sri - I went out to the Blue Jeans site and Signal Cable and neither one of them showed a true balanced cable that the Ref. 50 will support.

According to B&K, a true or "triple" balanced cable has a positive, negative, and neutral (not part of the shield as in the Belden cable). Look on the Audioquest web-site at the King Cobra and you'll see what the design should look like. Audioquest just started offering a triple balanced version of the Diamondback as well. Both are a lot of money (IMO) but after spending so much on speakers and amps, etc. I want to make sure that I get as much as I can out of the system. I'm still looking for an alternative but I haven't seen one yet.

Paul

Jason_A

Stunt Coordinator
If your talking about the RCA type connector on the back of the sub then yes make your own. Also you can now get crimpable RCA connectors for RG6 cable. Canare has some and a couple other companies do as well.

Check out pacrad.com

You can't get them at any local yahoo store like Radio Shack. You have to find an electronic supply type store. The ones with spools of cable and parts etc.

Paul D. K.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm talking about the XLR cable/connectors so that I can minimize the loss from a 45' run.

The problem I'm finding is that there are XLR cable and connectors that utilize a double balanced cable - Monster, Blue Jeans Cable, etc., but the B&K circuit isn't maximized if I use it. The B&K circuit is looking for a triple balance circuit which is three distinct wires and a drain wire/shield.

Per another channel - I'm going to go to try and find a music equipment store that makes cables for musicians, etc. and see if they have such cables.

Sri

Agent
Paul,
Thanks for looking into it and posting the information. I almost ordered from blue jeans because I truly didn't know the difference. Please let me know and I will sit tight until you post your message. In the mean time I'll talk to my dealer and post his opinions. Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Umm, how bout this one for $40 Here :) Just be sure to get the correct one as you can get female to female, male to male, or female to male.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks