What's new

50Foot vs. 10foot less sound?? (1 Viewer)

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Hey guys, having a problem. For my left front I have about 50-60ft. of wire from reciever to speaker. For my right speakers I have about 12-15 feet. Now, my left speaker sounds like it isn't even there unless I put it to about +6db on my reciever. My right speaker sounds perfect at 0db. Does anyone know if this amount of wire would affect it, or if the connection is screwed up somewhere in there? Thanks for any help you can provide on this subject, I would appreciate it.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Chris,

If the difference is that audible I’m guessing you’re using small-gauge wire. You should be using 12 gauge for a run that long.

The problem is that there is more resistance on the left side, due to the longer wire. Evidently there is enough resistance to reduce the SPL. You’ll either need to keep both speaker lengths the same, or use a smaller gauge for the right one. Say, 12 for the left and 16 for the right.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Wayne I believe it is 16ga on both sides. I think I found my problem though... I remember that when I was running it I connected two strands together just by twisting them together and stupid me never went out to get another wire because I forgot about it until I started listening to some 2Ch. stuff again. Thanks guys.

By the way, is usually twisting wires together on a run this degrading to the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks