What's new

50A61 vs 50H71: which is better for me? (1 Viewer)

Matt T. M.

Auditioning
Hi, I'm a newbie to RPTVs, but I know most of the basics about them. I am looking to replace my 12 yr old 27" Magnavox with either a 50A61 or a 50H71 Toshiba. The new set will be used mostly for gaming (Xbox, Gamecube, and Dreamcast), broadcast TV veiwing through an RF antenna (cable is not an option for me), and the occasional DVD through my non-progressive player. I looked at both sets side by side at my local Best Buy, and to be honest I can't see any picture difference between the two. Maybe it's the BB feeds but they look the same to me with regards to picture quality. Yet the 50A61 is $1299.99 and the 50H71 is $1799.99.
For my situation, should I even bother getting the HDTV or should I save the money and get the analog set? Wouldn't regular TV viewing look better on the analog due to the 3DYC filter? Also, the service plans are $199.99 and $299.99 respectively, should I spring for the plan or not? I need advice from experts, thanks! :D
Also, with the DVI/HDCP/firewire thing going on, would I be wise in buying any HDTV right now?

Matt T. M.

Auditioning
Okay, now I've read that some Toshiba HDTV's have ghosting problems, ranging from slight to very large. Apparently it is an actual design flaw with Toshiba sets, something to do with the upconversion form 480 to 540. Does anyone know anything about this? Do the analog sets have this problem as well?

Matt T. M.

Auditioning
Well, I guess no one has an opinion on this, so I'll just go with my gut feeling and get the 50A61. Everyone that has it seems to like it, so I doubt I'll be dissapointed.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Some XBox games output 1080i, so I'd personally say go with the HDTV. But if you can't tell the difference in picture quality...go with whatever you want.

I'd personally wait a month or two though until the new Tosh models come out though.

I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the 57H82 myself...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks