501 question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bernard Blasko, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Bernard Blasko

Bernard Blasko Auditioning

Sep 3, 2001
    I just installed a 501, and this is my first venture into the DBS arena, so I apologize for the dumbness of this question in advance. When you use the event timers to record a show "in the future", does the receiver turn itself on, or do you have to leave it powered up - green light on? Also, what is the diffrerence between "auto tune" and PVR recording?
  2. Barry H

Barry H Auditioning

Feb 22, 2001
    I just got a 501 last Friday. It's great!
    You can set up an event timer to record a future event, and then turn off the receiver. It will power on, record and power off automatically.
    Auto tune changes the program to the one selected as soon as it starts. Auto tune doesn't record - it just changes the channel.
    Good luck.
  3. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Jan 10, 2000
    Bernard- If your 501 was on when the recording started, it will remain on after the recording is finished. If it was off, it will turn itself off again after the recording is finished. Either way is fine; the PVR501 will handle the recording as programmed.
    I've had the 501 about 2 weeks or so now, and already I've recorded a number of movies. It's great to have a selection of movies without messing with videotapes, and the quality is the same as the original feed, which obviously is not the case with VHS.
    I've only recorded commercial-free movies with it, so I've not used its 30-second FF, etc. But the convenience of it is unbeatable. Now, if only it had a larger hard drive!
    And not having to pay $10 or so per month just for TV listings (as with the Tivo) is certainly a significant cost savings.
    All in all, Dish has a real winner here.
    Steve K.
  4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Mar 22, 1999
    I've had my 501 since the beginning of July, last night was the first time I had a glitch where I had to reset the unit. I was about to watch a stage in the Vuelta a Espana (bike race in Spain) and I started to watch it, but somehow got no sound. So I went to stop it and things went haywire. I got both the cancel screen as a transparency and the image from the event at the same time, I could still function but then I just lost the picture and never got it back, I tried to turn it off and on, off for about 5 minutes, and then I took out the manual and found out how to reset the unit. (turn off the machine and hold the power button in til the power and recording light lights up... Then after about 30 seconds you should get a picture again if it successfully resets itself.) Hopefully the hard drive doesn't crash, but even if it does, you are supposedly still able to use it as a receiver, just you wont get the PTV option or have access to some of the software/guides stored on the drive.
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?