What's new

$500. What to do? Please help (1 Viewer)

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
Heres the scenario. I am 19 years old and bought this HT setup around Christmas. I recently came accross $500 and dont know what to do with it.
Read on and please reply

I am looking to upgrade JBL S310s($179 shipped ea.)
N38's($99 shipped each)
ND310's ($199 ea.).

How are these? Also will my Vr-507 be able to handle them without problems?
I was even thinking of just getting the towers for Music cds and keeping my current setup as the Main HT system. I have $500 to spend what should i do with it?????? Upgrade speakers or reciever? Sell speakers and upgrade??? or even save the money!!!!

Heres my setup (Dont have avia or spl meter)
Vr-507
N26 fronts
N24 rears
NCenter
SonySawm40 Sub
27" Phillips/Magnavox PIP TV
SD-1800 DVD
All are connected with Monster Av Kit (16ga time winded) and all monster cables. I get them for cheap so.

The skies the limit. Help me out

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
that really depends on what kind of funds you think you'd be able to put together over a longer haul. me, i'm not going to trash your system because you have to start somewhere. I don't really see the choices you made as significant upgrades...kinda more like moving slightly forward but laterally. my personal recommendation would be for you to enjoy your system right now...its better than just a TV, no? open a separate bank account and start squirreling away money. a good way is every night, take out whatever change you've got and stick it in a can. then every two weeks take it to the bank and sock it away. maybe in a year or year 1/2 you'll find you've got maybe 1500...maybe more! in the mean time...read the forums, go to stores WITHOUT YOUR CREDIT CARDS and just listen. take notes...then when you next upgrade, you'll have some serious change to make a good purchasing decision. for example you could consider a used or refurbed receiver to save some serious money.
maybe not the answer you want but its the one i give to my son...he waited, then bought.

BrendanL

Agent
Can you build things? basic cabinets for speakers?
or just assemble some kits? That would be the best way to maximize your limited funds, and the sound quality would be 2-4x higher than what you can buy in that price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks