What's new

$500 to spend on a tv - any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Dave George

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I can't stand watching my crappy 25" zenith tv any longer, but I graduate from college in a few months and money's pretty tight. I assume that in this range I'll be looking at 32" sets. An I better off buying from Circuit City of Best Buy or can I find good deals online (I assume shipping is somewhat prohibitive). What do you guys recommend?

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
can you spend $1000-$1500? If so, get a good used projector and DIY screen. Then you can have a 100"++ experience and never want to watch a 35" set again :)
At $500, your choices are a bit more limited, although I saw a used NEC 6PG CRT go for $600 on eBay recently with decent tubes [about 1/2 life left...]

Dave George

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately no. $600 (maybe $700) might be possible, but that's about it. I'd love a projector but I doubt it's a possibility at this time.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Dave... this is just a sugestion, something i wish i woulld have done. Back in 1999, i wanted to move up from my 25 inch toshiba to a bigger Tv with component video. I did a little bit of research, and found one i liked. I was a little bit limited on the funds at the time, so i figured i would go ahead and get the one i had picked out. I wish i had waited. Don't get me wrong.i love the tv, but if i had waited i could have set that money aside (in savings) and put a little aside at a time to get something that i knew i would be happy with for alot longer. I just purchased a toshiba 50H81 widescreen hdtv, but i REALLY looked into it this time, and made sure it would be a very long-term investment. I understand the urge to get a new tv, but you might want to think about waitng a little longer and get something that you are sure you will be happy with years down the road. hope this helps.:)

Dave George

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew - that's a good point, and certainly something I have considered. The problem is that, using a similar rationale, I'm also planning to purchase the Outlaw 950. Plus I need a center and mains to match what will become my surround speakers (Axiom).

The TV can always be used in a bedroom later on, and the possibility of upgrading in the not-to-distant future is why I'd like to keep the price around $500.

On the other hand, I did some looking around on ebay and it seems like the sony VPH-10xxQ series of CRT projectors often go for around $5-600. Is this something worth looking into?

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Dave,
Just do what I did. I went looking for a 32-36" TV for ~$600-700 or so. The one I liked was more like $850. Which was way too close to the price of an HDTV for my taste. So I plunked down the credit card and crossed my finger I'd get a job nice and quick. I just couldn't stand spending that much on what would have quickly become a bedroom TV!
It worked out well, and I've been blessed for the last 1.5yrs with a beautiful picture.
Lots of places will have %0 interest for a year for TVs.
Now, if that $500-700 price limit is already going on some sort of financing plan, DO NOT LISTEN TO ME!

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Dave-

Could you benefit from BestBuy's 18 months 0% interest or Circuit City's 12 months? I would have to agree with those that recommend saving and waiting to get a set that you will be really satisfied with. Sound is a major part of the home theater experience, but is hard to make up for a poor picture or a picture that you feel is too small. Just my $.02.

-Chris

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, to bring this all back to his sub-$600 budget--reality check here--I'd recommend that Dave check out the standard direct-view Toshibas in this price range, the curved-screen 27- and 32-inchers. Fine sets, all. And to realize maximum resolution with 16:9-encoded DVDs, get the service-menu codes so you can squeeze the scanning-line raster into a 16:9 window. You'll be happy until graduation, when you'll be ready to "move up."

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Check out the Samsung 32" it has component video inputs,an s-video input & regular front & rear inputs plus it does the squeeze trick from the remote or the menu & the set can be had for around $450 Sears had it advertised this week for $499 I think Best Buy also has them. This way you won't be putting out too much cash & you will be able to upgrade sooner :D plus it will make a great bedroom tv in the future. Samsung also has a step up 32" that adds P-I-P but it's a hard set to find & I'm not sure of the price. You can checkout Samsung's website for specs. but don't worry when you see nothing about the squeeze trick on it because for some reason they left it out but the set does do it. Go take a look at one at Sears & I'll bet you will be surprised at the picture quality for the money. ;)

Brad_V

Second Unit
A very good 32" is the JVC AV32230. Best Buy carries them. People have complained about the similar Toshiba A61 series having a moire problem, so watch for that.

I was going to buy the JVC myself before getting an RPTV. 32" is good because, as you said, you can always turn it into a bedroom TV later.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Dave

Search for a JVC 32D302. It is a step up from the 32230, and only lists for $50 more. You should be able to find one for $600 or less.

Artie

Brad_V

Second Unit
Also, for a little more, you could get the 36" Sanyo at Best Buy for $600 on sale. I might have even seen it at $550 this week. Might be on clearance if it's at $550.

People might scoff at it, but it is actually a decent-looking TV. Better than the higher-priced Magnavox there, that's for sure. Has s-video. It's a good deal if you wanted a cheap-but-pretty-good 36" instead of a 32".

But, the problem with a 36" and then upgrading later is that 36" makes for a BIG bedroom TV later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks