$500 home theater receiver choices

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by NickGL, Apr 24, 2004.

1. NickGL

NickGL Agent

I assume this thread has been made before, and I hope it hasn't become annoyingly hackneyed.

I'm in the market for a new receiver; I'm a student and as such not the most wealthy person but have been bitten by the audio bug (sadly, heh). My 1999 Pioneer Elite VSX-24TX has recently died so I am trying to find a replacement that sounds as good if not better.

So far, I have seen the Yamaha RX-V650 (or HTR-5760, same thing), Denon AVR 1800 and a similarly priced Onkyo of which I forget the model number. The Yamaha seems to be the best bet so far- made doubly so that I have a Yamaha DVD player and lost the remote- but I'd like to get the opinions of the community first.

I do not have a matched home theater speaker system, and movies are not my greatest priority; I more listen to stereo music on my Polk RT-55s. The receiver is also used as my computer's sound card more or less and i do quite a bit of media playing with it, viewing the computer's video on my TV. I know I'm not likely to find great differences in sound at this price range, so basically the most important things for me are direct stereo mode, good DA converters, and build quality that can stand up to hours of continuous operation. Of couse, I would like the replacement unit to sound at least as good or better than the Pioneer Elite if possible (I have been out of audio media for a while, I don't know where technology stands compared to the vintage of the Pioneer).

Thanks in advance for your input.

EDIT: I am leaning toward the Yamaha at the moment from what I've read and heard, also I lost the remote of my Yamaha DVD player, so the yammy would be most convenient. I've also seen the HTR-5760 advertised at $350, which would be excellent for me.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

This is a good recent thread, similar types of receiver prices, maybe a little mire though:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=194285

You could get a marantz from accessories 4 less i think, for probably 500 bucks or less, the 5300 is just 359, the 5400 is 479. I own a 5300, and heartily recommend it, along with the other popular brands, HK, denon, etc etc. That would be a pretty smokin deal though, on either. I think i paid closer to 600 for my 5300 a year or so ago.

3. NickGL

NickGL Agent

Thanks, Chris

At least as far as what I've read, the Marantz SR5400 is quite better than the other mainstream offerings. I read a review even comparing it to the Euro versions of the Onkyo, Yamaha, and Denon, with the Marantz winning. I think I may give it a go first.

I may go by the nearest retailer tomorrow to check it out.