1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

$500 for CD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John Robert, Sep 15, 2003.

1. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

I've got about $500 to spend on a new cd player with the following priorities:

1). Redbook cd quality

2). Multichannel SACD / DVA

I've seen refurbished Denon 2900 @ ecost for $510 but don't know about cd playback. I might be better off keeping my Sony nc650v for multi channel and investing in a good redbook player. Any suggestions?

2. Paul M.Kuziel

Check out the Sony DVP-CX985V. It retails for 399.00

I would include a URL to link to it but for some obserd stupid reason the powers that be wont let me post a link until I have been a member longer. Geeze, you would think this was a National Security issue.

3. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Oade Bros is selling the Sony NC555ES for $450 but I don't think they have it in yet.

4. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I just got a Sony SCD-C222ES CD/SACD 5 disc changer for $350 shipped. So far I am pleased with it, although I haven't really done a lot of critical listening yet.

Mark

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, try to track down a Sony SCD-C222ES. It was recently discontinued, but it's a bargain.

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

None of those suggestions do DVD-A, assuming that is what you meant by DVA. If thats what you mean, you are talking a universal player for the functions you require.

There are lots of posts about the 2900, and most have been very positive.

I actually have a Pioneer 45A, which to me ears sounds wonderful in ALL formats, although its video performance on the test bench is poor (although in real life, I am pleased with the PQ). There are posts from users that rave about its redbook performance.

Be aware though, that in the price range you are looking, most true universal players will have some sort of issue with bass management. And that, unless addressed, can really impact the perceived sound quality.

BGL

7. John Robert

Thanks for all the feedback. I am currently researching the suggestions...

8. John Robert

Keith H:

How do you like your 444es?? I liked the sound of mine but had to move it out of my main system due to overheating / shutdown issues...

9. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

John,

Like Robert, I too own an Elite DV45A which plays just about everything under the sun, and I feel plays it well. Yeah, it didn't score that well on the Secrets of Home Theater shootout test, but, then again, you're not looking for a DVD player now are ya? It has burr-brown dac's that sound very nice IMHO, and I am just starting to build my DVD-A/SACD collection. I had a little trouble with it on the Metallica DVD-A, but that was just a few adjustments I had to make in the seetings. I feel multi-channel discs sound very nice in it. Yeah, there's been a lot of debate over it's bass management, but if you search around, what multi-channel player hasn't had some debate over it's BM. I just feel that for approx. $400, that it cannot be beat in that price range.