What's new

$500 for a CD player (1 Viewer)

Ron RB

Auditioning
I am looking for a CD player. I am interested in sound first and multi disk capabilities second. The max I am willing to spend is $500.00. Should I stick to single disk or go with muti disk. Would there be a noticable compromise in sound and build quality at this price between single and multi disk players?

What unit would you recommend in single disk & multi disk?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ron, this subject has been discussed quite a bit here in the past. Typically, single-disc players sound better than carousel changers at a given price point. Megachangers will sound worse than carousel changers, again, typically. That said, I would recommend the Sony SCD-C222ES carousel changer. It retails for $800, but Oade Bros., an authorized Sony dealer, sells it for $525. In addition to being a capable CD player, it also plays stereo and multi-channel SACDs. Build quality is quite good. I feel the 'C222ES can't be beat for the price.
Other models you might consider include the Cambridge Audio D500SE ($430) and NAD C 541 ($400-500) single-disc CD players. The NAD player decodes HDCD discs. As for carousel CD changers, take a look at the Marantz CC4000OSE ($400), Denon DCM-370 ($250-300), Sony CDP-CA70ES ($215-300), and NAD 523 ($300-400).
So, you obviously have a number of choices, but I feel the Sony 'C222ES is the way to go. See www.crutchfield.com for more info. Finally, OneCall (1-800-340-4770) and J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180) may match or even beat Oade Bros.' price. They too are authorized dealers.

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
No CD player sounds recognizably better than another. Buy whichever one has the features you desire at the price you want to play.

If you doubt what I'm saying, ask yourself if you could tell how much a CD player cost listening to it through your own system, and playing your most revealing CD? If you couldn't see it, could you tell if it cost $200 or $2000 or $20,000? Of course not.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Rotel has a new model (not sure of the number), have heard it and it is superb at $450. I am not a big fan of changers. It is kind if like auto-reverse on a cassette deck, convenience but extra parts that don't add to the sound quality. I think in the near future changers will have their market share lessened by the new hard drives that hold 100s of CDs. Sony has one for $600 list and HP has one that also tunes in internet radio for $999 list. As the price comes down these type of units will probably slowly make their way in place of some changers.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil,
If hard-disk recorders produce good sound, then they could replace single-disc players too. Hard-disk recorders have CD drives for recording CDs to hard drives, so they could double as single-disc CD players. The key is whether they will offer good sound. I don't see audiophiles adopting hard-disk recorders too quickly, however. Finally, I doubt we will SACD or DVD-Audio (or DVD-Video) hard-disk recorders anytime soon, if ever. Aside from copyright concerns, the storage space that would be required for high-resolution audio formats (and movies) would be enormous to be of any use. Of course, if one is only interested in compressed audio, then the point is moot. Stick with CDs for recording to the hard drive.
Norm,
Your statements are utterly ridiculous. Of course, you probably won't even see my reply. What I don't like is that you drop these useless posts on the board and then you don't come back to respond to anyone's retorts. You post and run away. What's the point? I guess we will see you in about two more months with another senseless post. If you were tell me that you could not tell the difference between my Sony CDP-CX333ES CD megachanger and my Sony SCD-777ES SACD/CD player playing a CD, then you don't have ears. Plain and simple. Get your hearing checked.
The other issue is I suspect that you have never used a revealing system that can readily bring out the differences between CD players. Of course, you would probably say that there is no such thing as a high- or low-resolution system. I suppose all amps and speakers sound alike too, right? :rolleyes

Scott H

Supporting Actor
No CD player sounds recognizably better than another.
I apologize, but that is a most absurd comment.

Of all components, a CD player (transport and DACs) is often the most audibly overt in difference between make/model. You name any aspect of sound, and your CD player, the source component, affects it.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Scott, absolutely. Notice that as I said, Norm dropped his useless comments and ran. No reply. He'll come back in a couple months and make a similar inane post in reply to someone else. Talk about thread crapping.

Chip E

Screenwriter
I see our boy Norm has checked in to take his 60 day constitution in the audio forum... wassuppp Norm! ;)
Ya think he coulda at least turned the fan on? That's just rude! :D

SamN

Agent
While I don't totally agree with Norm, his point is *somewhat* valid. If you haven't spent the money on good speakers, or a good receiver, do you need a $500 cd player. Most likely not. It seems logial that your system is only as good as its weakest link. Don't flame, just making a point. Another note, let me state I don't agree with the following, but it is hard to refute. Richard Clark, a well known car audio enthusiast has a challange regarding to the sonics of amps. He states that one cannot tell the difference between 2 amps of the same "actual" power rating back to back. Say a cheaper amp, Sony, against a McIntosh even. I like to think that I could, but am not up to his challange. He lets you pick the wiring, the source, the speakers, and lets you hook it all up. If you can tell the difference 10 times in a row, with him switching it in a blind test, you get $10,000! No one has been able to do it so far.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Sam, no question about it. The rest of the system has to be up to snuff to justify the expense for the CD player. However, one doesn't have to spend much on an amp and speakers to hear difference between a $500 and $200 CD player in most cases.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I've been looking for a CD player too, Ron, so I have been listening to alot of different ones and scouting around on the net.

I have the luxury of working for a retailer that carries a wide mix of equipment and when I have had the time, I've compared alot of different ones from Sony, Pioneer, Denon, and Adcom including DVD players that have audio capabilities like DVD-A and SACD.

In the price range you are looking at, I'd have to second Keith's recommendation of the Sony 222 ES. It has consistently topped, IMO, many of the CD players and DVD players in the $1000 and under price range. We have a high quality switcher, good quality seperates, and very revealing speakers available, so instant comparisons have been relatively easy, and I keep coming back to the 222 as my favorite. Plus you get the bonus of SACD capability.

If you want to open yourself up to tubes, I have also listened to a Jolida CD player(based on a Philips player modified with tube outputs) and it sounded very good, although I didn't have as much of a reference point because I was listening to it on equipment and music I was unfamiliar with. It was around $500.

Also, some folks on the net have good things to say about about another tube modified player, the Heart. From what I've read they are modified from even better players than the Jolida(Marantz) and they have a model in your price range. Do an internet search or check Audio Asylum for details.

Good luck in your search.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks