What's new

500-600$ receiver (1 Viewer)

BarOr

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to buy 500-600$ receiver. Judging SPECIFICATIONS, reviews and more I found two suitable receiver: Marantz sr5400 and Onkyo tx-sr601. what would you recommend ? are their any more suitable receiver?
Thank you

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I think either one will do fine, depending on your speaker loads (4,6 or 8 ohm). I have an Integra DTR 6.4 (gussied up Onkyo 701) and I think it's great. However, it's not rated for 4ohm loads, and I would have had to go with something else if my speakers were 4ohms. There are others available at your price point, Denon, Yamaha and Pioneer come to mind. Audition them through the same speakers, if you can. At this price point, it often comes down to features.

Good luck.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I've got the Marantz SR5400. I am extrememly happy with it. Does the Onkyo have a 3 year warranty, I know the Integra does, so does the Marantz. My father in law has the Integra version of the Onkyo you are looking at, I'd get the Integra before I got the Onkyo. In comparing the two they both sound very good. I preffer the way the Marantz handles the auto-surround though over the Integra, I also like the remote way better. It is personal preference really, when I made my choice it came down to those two models, and I picked the Marantz. You probably can't go wrong either way. The marantz does have a virtual 6.1 mode which is kinda nice if you won't have a 6.1 setup.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
So you would gain a year by getting the Integra, there are probably some other upgrades the Integra offers as well as far as quality maybe? Either way, the Integra or Marantz would be good for this guy. I'm not sure the remote on the Integra will allow you to control all the dvd menu stuff, but the Marantz remote does. I guess I have a Marantz DVD player, but I'm assuming you can navigate the menu of any brand dvd player with the Marantz remote.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I don't know about the remote. The Integra has better DACs (all 192khz and eight instead of 4 (2x192, 2x96 in Onkyo)), and extra features. For example, I can apply my time/bass management settings to my multichannel analogue input, which can be useful for a less than ideal speaker placement setup of multichannel music (the equivalent Onkyo doesn't have this, IIRC). The sonic merits/drawbacks of this extra AD/DA to hi-res is open to debate. I also have built in 7.1 pre-outs (even though I have 6.1 channels), digital upsampling, component video upconversion, and a couple of other features.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...class=Receiver

http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...s=Receiver&p=f

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I believe the equivalent reciever to the 601 would be the 5.4, not the 6.4. How much is the 6.4, I'm fairly sure it is out of his $500-600 price range.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The 6.4 is 1000$ retail, can probably get it for 850$ if you bargain hard. I was simply listing the differences between the 701 and the 6.4. I'll do a quick check of the 601 vs 5.4, though he'd likely have to stretch a bit even for the 5.4, as Integra is somewhat notorious at capping discounts given by dealers.

The 5.4 has better DACs, digital upsampling, something called Non-scaling configuration (don't know what that means), wider "Extended Frequency Response" (whatever that means) and 3 year warranty (along with other differences).

Of course, this takes nothing away from the already good quality of the Onkyo units. I look at it as icing on the cake. Much like there's nothing wrong with a Toyota Camry, but the Lexus ES300 is nicer, if you can afford it.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
My father in law got his 5.4 at our local Integra dealer for right at $600, not sure if they were running a sale or not. The Marantz SR5400 is also right at $600 if you get it from an authorized dealer, $550 if you get it at cambridge online, which is authorized.

Joshua H

Stunt Coordinator
The Onkyo / Integra only has 1 coaxial input if that matters for you. Even the 6.4 only has 1... why a thousand-dollar receiver can't have 2 coax-ins is beyond me.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The Integra DTR 5.4 retails at 600$, so if you're still thinking about the Onkyo 601, give this a consideration. See above for the advantages of the Integra over the Onkyo.

BarOr

Stunt Coordinator
where is it (Onkyo 701)? Further more the HK 7200 costs 839.67$ and not 499$ (at fry's store)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks