$500.00 for Christmas. What should I get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Beau B, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

Hello to all. I have 500.00 to spend on myself for christmas from my Mom. I need ideas. I was looking at a PDA, Portable DVD player, and a Pronto. I do not travel, but at work there are slow times {Pizza Delivery}. Should I use the whole amount on 1 thing and get a real good one or split it up between 2 or 3 things?

Thanks to all

Beau

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Beau, why don't you list your system. Perhaps that will reveal a "weak spot" and facilitate our making a recommendation.

Regarding the PDA, do you think you will use it? I considered getting one a couple of years ago, but I really didn't need it. I carry a small desk calendar to work, which I use to keep track of key errands, meetings, etc. I also have a calendar function on the e-mail system at work to keep track of meetings. As for phone numbers, I store them in my cell phone. Some people swear by PDAs, but I don't feel they are necessary.

A portable DVD player would be nice if you really feel you would use it. If you are looking to pass some dead time at work, how about getting a Game Boy Advance for $70 and then some used games?

I view the Pronto sort of like a PDA. I tried one once and it wasn't for me. Frankly, I just didn't feel like spending all the time to develop scripts for my various remotes. I was used to my remotes, so I decided it wasn't worth spending the time to set up a Pronto. I returned it and have never missed it. Of course, like PDAs, many people swear by the Pronto remotes. To each his own.

As I said, list your system. That might suggest good use of your $500. On the other hand, you could buy a lot of DVDs and music with $500.

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

TIVO.

Once you have one, you won't know how you got by without it.

BL