What's new

50 Reasons why Halo Sucks (1 Viewer)

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
Halo Sucks
18. Homage or Theft? I
The character of Cortana is similar to the AI named Durandal from the Marathon series. Can't Bungie come up with its own ideas instead of stealing those of others?
19. Homage or Theft? II
The Flood is based on the voracious corporate conglomerate AOL Time Warner.
20. Homage or Theft? III
The Elites' plasma sword was stolen from LucasArts' Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast.
21. Homage or Theft? IV
The doomed character of Captain Jacob Keyes is based on United States 2000 Presidential nominee Alan Keyes.
22. Homage or Theft? V
The short, scurrying Grunts are based on Utah Jazz point guard John Stockton.
23. Homage or Theft? VI
There is some pretty funny stuff here...

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
some of those are pretty funny. However I'm assuming the person who wrote it was aware when they accused Bungie of stealing the character of Durandal for Cortana that Bungie in fact was the company that created Marathon and its sequel. The subtle art of sarcasm is so lost in the online world. ;) I never got to play the Marathon games in their prime(I didn't buy a mac until 1999) but from the little I've managed to play of them, they must have been very impressive at the time.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
(the orignal) Marathon was best described as "a thinking man's Doom." Unfortuantely, it ran in a postage-sized window, and much slower on comparable Mac hardware (it struggled mightily on a 33Mhz 68040 w/4mb video, and performed only marginally better on the first gen PPC machines). I was really hoping one of the ports to a newer engine would have been further along by now (I think Marathon Resurrection, which is being ported to the UT engine, is the furthest along at beta 1)

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Ugh you guys just reminded me that Halo was originally supposed to be a Mac game. That would have been nice.

*sigh*

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
It's interesting if you look at the old blurbs about Halo from MWNY 1999. The graphics look SO different but so similar. Also the description of the game doesn't sound that similar to the final product. Oh well it'll be good to see Halo on the mac where it began.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Halo ... Halo ... Hay...looo. I know I've heard of this game somewhere before. What's it about again?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks