50" Plasma w/ No Budget - What's the best?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Perry Jonkheer, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

Ok,

My father is buying a 50" plasma for his second home, and he is leaving it up to me to pick which one to buy.

We have so far seriously considered the Pioneer Elite. However, brightness might be an issue in the room it's going into...

Any and all insight is much appreciated.

Thank You.

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Brightness?? If it's a bright room, then a plasma display should be one of the better selections over other technologies. The new Pioneer ProHD1100 Elite is indeed a nice unit....if you have the wampum. It comes with a media receiver unit and removeable speakers should those be important for your use. Fujitsu is also right at the top of the game, especially with their new 30 series units. They will also have a 55" display available shortly. With a Fujitsu you get the panel with inputs....all other things like tuners, speakers and mounting hardware are not part of the package.

Soooo, it kinda depends on what features you may or may not need and how heavy your wallet feels.

Mort

3. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

PANTH50PX20-The ones I've seen look better than the elites.

4. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

Well, I considered the media receiver a pitfall of the Elite, but not a huge one. I don't need a decoder since he will be using an HD satellite box. The features he's looking for are a very nice looking cabinet, speakers, and the best picture possible.

I like the Fujitsus a lot...can you get speakers with them as an option?

5. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

From what I understand, the Fujitsus are generally regarded as king of the hill if you have an unlimited budget (unlike me)

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I personally prefer the Panasonic models. The absolute best blacks I've seen from a Plasma.

7. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

I've heard that the Panasonics have had a fairly high failue rate.....Dunno how true or not, but I have seen the Elites and love it a lot....I will be recommending it to my father in law.......

8. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

For that amount of money, have him view them (side by side if possible) first. Both the Elite and Fujitsu are quality panels the Elite having more of a ?brightness? in color rendition and the Fujitsu more realistic and with better blacks. If he's just going to watch TV, vs movies and such, Fujitsu offers external speakers, but if he wants a quality surround type sound they're all pretty second rate.

Mort