50" Plasma Advice

Discussion in 'Displays' started by TonyBar, Jan 4, 2005.

1. TonyBar

TonyBar Auditioning

Hi

I was wondering if I could get some advice on purchasing a 50” plasma.

At this stage I’ve be trying to find a decent forum, one located in Australia, but haven’t come across any which provide the kind of feedback and information as the AVS. Great work and keep it coming.

I’m in the process of building my dream home which my misses, and have been able to convince her to including a 4meter x 4meter media room, which works out to be a little over 13feet x 13feet. Let me tell you that was a feet in its self.

At this stage I have a very basic knowledge towards plasmas. I’m trying to obtain as much information as possible before taking the plunge and buying what I hope will be a great investment and may hours of viewing pleasure with and without the misses.

We will be watching primarily DVD as well as sporting event from the local free to air broadcasting stations. At this stage some of the stations have been converted to digital and I thing buy 2008 all will be changing over to digital.

If there is anymore information that I can provide I’ll do my best and I realise that the models available will differ to some degree but hopefully I will be able to order the corresponding Australian model.

Thanks for your time.
    Goggs.

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Goggs, there is a forum from Europe, and I see guys from Australia on there. It is Avforums.com.

3. Richard E Jones

Richard E Jones Auditioning

Goggs, I am in Sydney and have a 4m x 4m room. I always intended to go forward projection using a screen size in the 70-100" range. Recently however I saw some plasmas that made me take notice - I think the best I saw was a 50" fujitsu for $11,000 AUD - I'm sure you would get this down though. I also saw a 55" Hitachi which looked great.

Having said this I just can't justify spending that much money for a screen of that size. I am just in the process of fitting out my room and for the cost of the 50" plasma I should be able to get one of the new 1080i/720p, 16:9, 2000CR LCD projectors that have started shipping (panny 700, sanyo Z3 and there is a Sony as well). You can find all the detail at projectorcentral if you are interested. These are all around $3-3,500 AUD and according to the reviews I have seen they offer jaw dropping picture quality - setting a new benchmark for LCD projection. I am auditioning the Z3 tomorrow night at home. In addition to this I will get a HD digital set top box, cabling, component source selector, learning remotes, infra red repeating gear (I don't want my equipment in the cinema), an OK 6.1 sub+sat speaker system (say the Omnisats, KEF or JBL) plus of course a fixed screen for the wall. All this for less than the plasma and a 50% bigger picture (minimum).

I have another problem with plasma - try as I might I just can't enjoy the picture. I am not technical and so I can't give a scientific reason for this. All I know is when I look at LCD & plasma side by side the LCD looks much better. As to whether forward projection has a better picture quality than plasma (or LCD) its a moot point to me - as I want a large screen at a reasonable price - and this is projector territory.

Good Luck mate

4. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

Richard says:
    "I want a large screen at a reasonable price - and this is projector territory.
    You got a point there mate, but if TonyBar is looking for the best PQ, personally, Plasma beats FP systems everytime.
    My FP system, although good, does not have the rich detail of my plasmas.
    A 50" Panny plasma has so much more of a 3D effect than does my FP system.
    Now, for sheer size enjoyment, along with the popcorn experience, FP is really great.
    JMHO, Vb

5. Richard E Jones

Richard E Jones Auditioning

Sim - I agree totally - it really comes down to what you want at the end of the day. I saw the Z3 tonight and was amazed at the quality. I watched a 100" screen from about 10' and found it too large, so I've settled on an 86" screen (2.2m). A 50" plasma wouldn't give the experience I am after and would cost a whole lot more.

Cheers