What's new

50 or 60 inches? Don't laugh! Need advice... (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
My 60-inch RPTV (4:3) is dying a horrible death, according to the repairman who courageously disassembled it last week. Something about replacing boards and ROMs and mirrors and coolant (what the heck?). At any rate, an authorization for a replacement is in my hands.

We've been looking at new units, and we're having this "size" issue. We sit about 10-11 feet from the 60-inch at present, and we're considering a step down in size, to 50-inches.

Is this a wise move? Will we miss the "feel" of 60-inches? Aesthetically, the 50-inch set will probably swallow less of the room, but will we be sorry later?

Any thoughts appreciated well in advance...

-AM

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Wise move or not its what your more comfortable with and what you can afford. I would suggest you get a 16:9 this time. I take possesion of a new Panny RPTV 47 on Friday. Can't wait.

Kevin

Kamal_K

Stunt Coordinator
well I dont know if this will be much help, but I am currently building a 20x15 family room and will be about 15 feet from the tv and decided to go with a 55 inch. From asking around I have come to the conclusion that this will work much better than the 65 inch I originally wanted. I think you will be fine with a 50 inch, also make sure you get a widescreen this time, hdtv will be in 16:9 format. good luck

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the 16:9 advice, but I'm sticking with 4:3 for now. Black or grey bars give me hives, and stretching and zooming makes me break out in a rash.

--AM

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
and stretching and zooming makes me break out in a rash.
See if you like the stretch modes on the 16x9 Pioneer Elite TV's. I thought they were incredible. Definitely the best line doubler and stretch modes out of any TV we could fine.

Then go get the 53" or 64" non-Elite TV for much less money and I think you'll be very happy. I just picked up the 643HD5 from Costco for $2799 and couldn't be happier. Can't even tell that the picture is stretched after the first 30 sec. Most people haven't even noticed when they walked into the room.

Just a thought.........

Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks