1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

50 or 60 inches? Don't laugh! Need advice...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Angelo.M, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

My 60-inch RPTV (4:3) is dying a horrible death, according to the repairman who courageously disassembled it last week. Something about replacing boards and ROMs and mirrors and coolant (what the heck?). At any rate, an authorization for a replacement is in my hands.

We've been looking at new units, and we're having this "size" issue. We sit about 10-11 feet from the 60-inch at present, and we're considering a step down in size, to 50-inches.

Is this a wise move? Will we miss the "feel" of 60-inches? Aesthetically, the 50-inch set will probably swallow less of the room, but will we be sorry later?

Any thoughts appreciated well in advance...

-AM

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Wise move or not its what your more comfortable with and what you can afford. I would suggest you get a 16:9 this time. I take possesion of a new Panny RPTV 47 on Friday. Can't wait.

Kevin

3. Kamal_K

Kamal_K Stunt Coordinator

well I dont know if this will be much help, but I am currently building a 20x15 family room and will be about 15 feet from the tv and decided to go with a 55 inch. From asking around I have come to the conclusion that this will work much better than the 65 inch I originally wanted. I think you will be fine with a 50 inch, also make sure you get a widescreen this time, hdtv will be in 16:9 format. good luck

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the 16:9 advice, but I'm sticking with 4:3 for now. Black or grey bars give me hives, and stretching and zooming makes me break out in a rash.

--AM

5. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor