What's new

50" Or 57" ??? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Does anyone out there feel their RPTV is TOO big for the room? I'm driving myself crazy deciding between 50 and 57 inch sets. In two years I went from 25 to 27, to 32, and each time within a month I realized I should have gotten something bigger. Now I'm replacing the 32".

I want to be satisfied for more than a month, but wonder if 57" is too big for a 12x12 room, with a 9 foot or less viewing distance. I seem to see a lot of people say that they got used to their larger screen really quickly. Is that a way of saying they wish they had gotten something larger?

Please weigh in with your thoughts. This purchase has generated more posts by me in three days than I have all year... HELP!

Philip____S

Stunt Coordinator
When I bought I was deciding between 57" and 65" screens with the deciding factor being width (the wall with the TV has a door and has only 112" of room for gear). That said, I bought the 65" (I have literally 2 inches of free space on the wall) screen and sit about nine feet away. The room dimensions are 15.5' by 12.75', which leaves room behind my couch for speakers and misc. gear.

Diana M

Agent
I would go with the 57 inch set, I bought a 60 inch Pioneer about 6 years ago and I have never wished that I bought the smaller set

I will eventually upgrade to the 64/65 widescreen

The only other alternative is to go with the smaller set and upgrade if it's not big enough, but that could be a pain with such a big set to move

AAhh, just go with the bigger set, I don't think I've ever heard any home theater lover say "I wish I bought the smaller screen"

Diana

Roy H

Stunt Coordinator
James I also say go with the bigger screen. I went with a Tosh 50" RPTV and at first it did look huge. My wife even thought she would be embarrassed when people came over. Our living room is about 12x15 and we can sit as far back as 10 to 11 feet. I just like to sit about 7 feet away in my recliner.:D
I love my Tosh 50" and this is my second Tosh 50" RPTV, but like you said I do wonder if I should have gone bigger. We have had our's less than a month now, and even my wife say's it does not look so big now. You do get use to them real quick so go as big as you can my friend!
PS: Just make sure it will fit in the door when they deliver it, and check all and any turns they may need to make.
Roy.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Screen widths of 1/2 to 2/3 seating distance (making for NTSC diagonals in the 5/8 to 5/6 seating distance range) are the defacto standard amongst the front projection crowd.

Scaled DVD on a 90" diagonal 4:3 screen is comfortable in terms of image quality 9-10 feet back, and seems a bit smaller than necessary from 12 feet.

Interlaced is a different story...

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I sit 7' away from my Panny 47", and it is perfect for me. When I first got it, I was like "This is huge!". Now am I used to it, and if I physically could fit a larger set (I can't, I have less then a 1/4 inch on either side) then I would. Go for the big guy.
I bet next year you'll be wondering why you didn't go with the 65".:D

Go with the 57 no question. Within 24 to 48 hours after I got my 56" I went from wow that is a big screen to gee I shoulda gone bigger. I sit 8-9 feet back.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Just got off the phone with Chris at P.C. Richard. I went with the 57" set. It's being delivered tomorrow. I can always have a wall cut away... :D
Thanks for all the replies. They put me over the top. Now I can't wait till tomorrow. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks