What's new

50 Interesting Facts (1 Viewer)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Please someone debunk the sneezing one because I have a sinus problem and blow my nose 24-7...and I wanna live another 365.

Marianne

Supporting Actor

Here's how they do it:

"In the hive the bees use their "honey stomachs" to ingest and regurgitate the nectar a number of times until it is partially digested. The bees work together as a group with the regurgitation and digestion until the product reaches a desired quality."

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
My mom used to light a wooden match, blow it out, then hold it in her mouth then start cutting the onions. She said the smoldering wood sucked up all the onion fumes. I never tested this but I guess it makes sense.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I doubt that putting it in the mouth actually did anything.
the same theory works, um in the bathroom.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Actually I think the theory here is that the pleasant odor of wood smoke or even burning paper will "mask" other less pleasant odors, not the the match "burns them off."

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I don't see how the letter "v" can be said to denote two English words that each begin with the letter "a". Whatever the custom in saying the name of a case out loud it is clear that in all British-derived systems, the "v" still stands for the good old Latin, "versus". (BTW, in American usage it is increasingly common to hear cases spoken of as "Smith vee Jones", rather than "Smith versus Jones." Inevitable, I suppose, in an era when "of" is commonly written in place of "have" an "u" is rapidly supplanting "you.")

I suspect the habit of using "against" for criminal and "and" for civil cases (while leaving "v" in the court documents) arose from a miguided attempt to a) Anglicize the forms and b) draw a distinction between the necessarily adversarial criminal law and the more "civil" arena of civil torts. (I think that distinction is a species of wishful thinking, but I've heard some Americans, including some lawyers, talk about the civil system as primarily one where deals are struck by dispassionate attorneys seeking to protect their clients but also to reach a reasonable compromise. I've also heard other lawyers describe the civil system in terms more appropriate to an especially brutal form of combat, maybe something out of the Roman arena. You pays your money and you takes your choice. Anyway, that's one possible explanation for the split in usage.)

Regards,

Joe

Regards,

Joe

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That was my point, Joe. I've never encountered such a "habit". Maybe the use of "and" in civil cases has been adopted in some locales, but AFAIK the prevailing usage is still that of an adversary system. And "v" and "versus" are used interchangeably in spoken parlance, often by the same person.

There's a good reason not to use "and" in place of "versus", and it's that many cases have multiple parties on both sides. If you say, "Smith and Jones and Miller", which "and" is supposed to be a "versus" as opposed to a genuine indication of a common interest?

(I'm reminded of the oft-told story, probably apocryphal, of the lawyer who stood up before the bench and worked himself to heights of rhetorical frenzy on behalf of his client, only to be interrupted by the judge after ten minutes with this simple question: "Counselor, do you represent the plaintiff or the defendant?")

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Good news and bad news: The good news is that no study exists showing this to be a fact. The bad news is that you are continually losing neurons as unused connections in the brain are pruned and new brain connections are formed.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
#28- What was the $7 million worth by the time the movie was made? Not a valid comparison.

#32 is just plain false.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Number 26 does appear to be wrong on a couple of counts. When I was in High School, the actual value of the number was a '1' followed by a hundred, not a million, zeros. Perhaps the definition has changed over time?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

Womens' buttons are on the opposite side because chamber maids and servants used to dress the wealthy women and it was easier for the buttons to be on the other side. It's no longer necessary but a tradition which has carried over in the fashion world. At least that's what we learned in class.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks