50" + HTDV advice

Discussion in 'Displays' started by robert_Pot, Jan 25, 2005.

1. robert_Pot

robert_Pot Auditioning

I am looking for a 50"+ HTDV, under 2000.00 CDN.

I was recommended to buy the Panasonic 53X54, at 1999.

Is this a good set ? How is the Panasonic brand compared to others ?

The specs mention : No progressive conversion..
    Most models have this.. is this a problem ?

THKS !!!

Robert

2. Shahryar

Shahryar Auditioning

Hey,

I have somewhat of a similar question on my thread (id=225213). check it out - maybe someone will answer both of our questions.

Shahryar

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Shahryar,
    The big difference here is that he is looking at 50" CRT and you are looking at a 50" Plasma. HUUUUUUUUGE difference in price there.
    Likely what they are saying here is no upconversion to 1080I or 540P like Toshiba and Hitachi do. The Mits and the Sony(IIRC) do not do this. I had heard the newer Mits's upconvert 480 to 1080I but I haven't confirmed that. I know mine doesn't.

Right now the Sony 51" and the Mits 48 are the top 2 sets I'd look at myself if I was in the market for that level of a set.

4. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

I just bought a Toshiba 51H84. Best Buy Selles it for 2199.99, which I know is above your price range. But right now (until the 10th of Feb) futureshop has the set on for 1799.99. Take the flyer over to Best Buy and they will match it minus 10%, so you get the set for 1749.99.

The set is being delivered today. So I can let you know what I think at the end of the weekend.

It's really hard to look for recommendations on this type of set. I was looking at the Panny as well. I had people from left field recommending the Panny, and I had people from right field recommending the Toshiba. A few from center field for Sony and the ump at the plate telling me to go Mitz.

For me, it came down to the fact that I have own 2 Toshibas previously/currently and have loved both sets. Two the reviews this set received, and three the price and warranty best buy offered. I look at the warranties more like insurance. Sure, I may never need them or use them, but the piece of mind it offers is very comforting, especially on a big nice tv like this.

So take your time, do some research. It also doesn't hurt to just ask for a recommendation from the sales agent especially ones who are not on commission, since they won't be worried about how much money they get from your sale.

Good luck.

5. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

BTW, the price at futureshop on teh 51H84 is now down to 1699.99 so you could get it from best buy for 1649.

Pretty sweet deal if ya ask me, I'll be heading over tomorrow with a copy of their flyer and getting a nice refund.