50 ft cable run?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Samonte, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I got a 10 ft component to VGA cable and now, with all the rearranging and stuff, might need a longer run. Also, we might be finishing the attic and so I'm thinking of getting the maximun available length. Would a 50 foot run degrade the image whatsoever? How about 35 or 25?
    ------------------
    Eric Samonte
    Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

2. PhilS

PhilS Stunt Coordinator

I have used a 50 foot VGA to VGA cable, and a 50 foot component cable with my front projector (a JVC DILA) without any problem. I have switched them out with a 3 foot VGA cable and a 6 foot component cable and I have not been able to discern any difference. I was not comparing pictures side by side, of course, but I did look at test patterns and movies I was very familiar with after I switched the cables. I have also talked to a "cable guy" I know who has experience setting up various displays for trade shows, etc., and he says the he has not had any problems freqently with runs well over 100 feet.
    Is it possible that you'll lose something with a 50 foot cable? I suppose so on a theoretical basis. Will you be able to see it? Highly doubtful, unless you're display is really huge and very refined.

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

4. Howard_A

Howard_A Stunt Coordinator

I think you are safe up to 75' with shielded cable.