What's new

50 DVD-/+R's for $50 at BB (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I passed on the Khypermedia DVD+Rs because they are supposedly of the CMC variety, which are hit-or-miss.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Best Buy has a 50-pack of FUJI DVD-R this week for
$50 after instant savings and $8 mail-in rebate.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Patrick,

I'll post how the Khypermedia discs go. FWIW, I have a Pioneer 106D drive, which doesn't seem to have many, if any compatibility issues. I also have several DVD players dating back to 1997 to test them on.

I just wish there was a media id app for Mac so I could find out more about these discs.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh yeah. Anymore, the $1 per disc spindle deals on name brand media seems to be pretty much a weekly thing.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I pretty much only use Ritek G04s now after cheaping out on my first batch of DVD-Rs. They work great in my Panasonic CP72. Can't go wrong with Riteks! I got my 50 pack at Newegg as well.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I meant burning the Riteks on the Panasonic E80H. I'm concerned it may not like 4x discs if it's only a 1x burner?

DeanQ

Stunt Coordinator

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

The speed rating on the disks is pretty much a measure of quality. A 4x disc will work beautifully on a 1x drive. Although, for slower speed burning, you should really pick up some Ritek G03 disks instead (1x discs, but burnable @ 2x perfectly on many DVD-RW drives that have firmware that allow it). Quality cheap discs.

Rodon

Second Unit

Your drives firmware often times will limit what discs will burn and wich ones will not - not the quality or speed of a disc. Also a generic 8X disc is not a great 4x disc. Dye types are different among manufactures - speed does not influence a dye type. If a DVD media is unreadable by your drive - its rated speed makes not make a difference.

Realize this is NOT CD burning and the rules and old standby methods of selecting media have changed. I say follow up on wich discs work with your drive from competent sites and you will be much happier than just guessing.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FWIW, I've burned a few of the Khypermedia DVD+Rs I got on sale at Office Max and they have been flawless. Of course, no telling if they will still be fine 10 years from now. Anyone who is interested, I have a Pioneer 106D drive with v1.0.7 firmware and use Toast titanium 6.0.3 software.

All discs were completely verified without a flaw.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Well, what I was meant was, in general, a higher-rated disc is backwards compatible because it is theoretically better. (Poor reliability 4x's burn OK @ 1x).

But there are indeed plenty of crappy discs out there. DVDrhelp.com is a good resource for disc information.

Rodon

Second Unit
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdmedia

Ron, buddy read the reviews. Iam telling you the "brand named" ones are not what you think. Imation is Ricoh, Verbatim is Yuden, Memorex is prodisc and ricoh, etc. Many brands are just rebadging so you have that brand trust/loyalty feeling.

Ritek G04s are very very consistent media on computers with a knowledgeable user, a decent DVD-r drive, latest dvd-r firmware. If your drive works - it will most likely work well with this media. I bet 90% of all problems burning with this G04 Ritek media are user error.

You want me to give you a few so you can try them out?? PM me your shipping info and I will send out some tomorrow for you to sample. I will send some riteks, Ricohs, and Primcos. This way you don't waste $$ on something you do not like.

Let me know.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The deal this week seems to be (2) 50 packs of Memorex (or is it Maxell) - and + spindles for $80. Best price I've seen yet for brand name media.

Rodon, by Richo, do you mean Ricoh?

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

Reading for a while on DVDrhelp will show you the light. God knows what type of disc is under the label of the so-called brand name disks (although DVDrhelp generally knows :D ). What matters most is who manufactured the disc, and what type it is, not the brand that they slap on the face of it. A lot of the 'brands' are cheap, fault-prone discs. Some are good discs. And then sometimes they are different manuf. for different batches, or different speeds. I haven't had a single coaster (and I don't think any errors) in 20 Ritek G04s so far. Out of 25 cheap discs, I had 2 coasters at 4x, and 0-3 glitches a disc burning them at 1x and 2x (so-called "4x" discs).

Ritek is the price/performance brand sworn to by many DVDrhelp folks. Taiyo Yuden manufactured (sp?) discs are somewhat better, but cost 2-3 times more.

If nothing else, an error scan of the discs after burning show a much much better rate on the RITEKGO4 than my cheap discs (OPTODISC01 I believe the media code was).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Rodon,

Very nice of you but not necessary. I'll take
my chances like the rest of you.

The only problems I experience are MEMOREX brand.
They don't work on my Sony burner. I just don't
want to buy any off-brand that has the same elements.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member

Where is this deal? Best Buy? (I'm not finding it there.)

Also, re: Khypermedia, I used them a lot with no problems...until I bought one pack that gave me several problems. I haven't bought Khypermedia since, although I guess it may have been an isolated problem.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdmedia.php...+or+List+Media

These are the listings for Memorex. Assuming you are using the 4x -R discs, you could be getting a batch of anything from Prodisc (very iffy:thumbsdown: ) to Princo (somewhat iffy) - some people have luck with them, and some don't. Comments on the Princo appear that they don't like the Sony drives very much.

This use of varying manufacturers also makes it harder to get consistent discs - sometimes you get one kind, sometimes another. Better to just go OEM and know exactly what you are gettting.

(Here's the listing for the Ritek G04s, by the way: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdmedia.php...ia=94#comments

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks