1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

50+" DLP Help!!!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tom Polley, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Tom Polley

Tom Polley Auditioning

I am in the process of setting up a "Theater-Type" viewing area in my finished basement. I have absolute light control and a 14'x20' area. I will have an awesome audio system including Klipsch Forte II's and KG4's. I also have a SVS 1646 PCi sub, all equalized by Behringer. I will run Outlaw Audio 950 pre/pro and a 5-7 Ch amp (yet to be determined).

The 14' wall will be the front. Seating will be approx.11'-14' from the screen. I am considering a DLP rear projector (since my ceiling is 7') and have noticed some of the same things I have read. Like,the glare on the new Mitsu tv's. On the JVC D-ILA, the one I saw was unclear and fuzzy around images. Not sure if there wasw a set-up or focus adjustment needed, just my observation. The ones that looked the best to me were an LG RU-52SZ51D (52") or a Samsung HL-5063W (50"). My budget for this tv is well under $3k.

What a mouthful! I would appreciate any comments; including size of screen, brands, suggestions of other items I might consider, etc.

Glad I was sent to this site, everyone seems positive, enthusiastic, and dedicated to help.

2. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    I've spoken lately about my parents new Mitsu 525725 and there is little glare problems, even in a room full of table lamps. It is an amazing DLP with a BEAUTIFUL picture, and it can be purchased for under $3K if you play your cards right.

If you want to go a bit cheaper you can get the Mitsu 52525 and just take off the protective screen. It's screen if far worse than the upper end Mitsubishi's.

[​IMG]

Good luck in your search!

3. Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri Stunt Coordinator

What you're describing would be the perfect place for a front projector. You can get a 6'-10' screen, and lower-end projectors start at about $1K.

4. BrettEr

BrettEr Auditioning

I'm with Alf S. I just bought a Mits 62725. I love it. My viewing space isn't very big, so I have a lot of areas where you are looking from an odd angle, and I only notice a slight raise in darkness.

I have zero complaints.[​IMG]

5. John S

John S Producer

I'm with Brian.. FP all the way with this room... It's begging for it... "Tom come to the dark side, fullfill your FP destiny..."

6. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

I have a 52" JVC D-ILA and I think it has the best picture i've seen in a digital display but it doesn't forgive a bad signal. HD on the JVC is incredible and DVD's looks great also but SD looks pretty crappy.