50 Classic Horror Films for $19.95 ???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brenda M, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Brenda M

Brenda M Stunt Coordinator

I just saw a commercial for this on the discovery channel. I went to a website and they said there was 50 films, over 60 hours on 5 DVDs. How is it possible?

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

First of all they are all public domain films, which means that the source material used is questionable at best.

Second, the majority of the movies would not be worth wasting the time watching.

Third, they compressed the crap out of them to fit 5 hours per side on 5 double sided DVDs which would make the quality even worse than it already is.

Buy at your own risk!

3. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    1st: Stay away from the set you saw on TV.

2nd: If you want to sample these then go to Best Buy (or anyplace really) and look for the Treeline box sets, which feature 50 movies on 12 double sided discs. They've got various genres from Mysteries, Horror, Chilling, Thrillers, Hollywood Legends, Comedy, Family and various others.

3rd: The quality ranges from VG (taken from Image/Roan discs) to VHS quality. Don't expect Warner quality. Again, this is 50 films for $19.95.

4th: I wouldn't agree with what Eric said about these films not being worth watching. If someone is actually interested in one of these sets then they'd certainly find most of them worth watching. Horror fans certainly couldn't go wrong with the three sets out there (Horror, Sci-Fi, Chilling). Fans of older comedies will get Buster Keaton, Fatty Arbuckle, East Side Kids and various others. Gable, Tracy, Stewart, Fairbanks, Young, Hepburn and every other legend is also featured in these sets.

5th: Again, various quality is out there but these are mainly good for film buffs who want to watch this stuff. Criterion certainly isn't going to release all 1000+ films from these boxes and the majors won't touch 'em either.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Buyer beware.

5. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

While I haven't seen the Discovery Ad set, the Treeline sets are a lot of fun. You can find them online or in closeout stores like Big Lots for under $20.

Yes, some of the transfers might cause some HTFers to go into shock, frothing at the mouth, convulsions, that sort of thing, but, if you go into them just telling yourself each film cost you 40 cents or something like that, they aren't bad.

Transfers are, as said, all over the map. Some are edited TV prints, others aren't. Some are unwatchable, some are quite good quality (on the Treeline Martial Arts 50 pack, the STREET FIGHTER films are all there in the uncut letterboxed versions).

But then again, in the 80's, I used to buy a lot of the public domain VHS versions of these, that you had to watch with the remote in your hand, constantly adjusting the tracking, so I have seen A LOT of bad transfers. They are a step up from then.

6. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I think my point came out wrong. What I meant to say is that you won't find many major titles mixed in with these 50 movies. If someone is anticipating getting the Universal Classic Monsters or some Hammer films, etc.. that they won't find them. They're going to find a lot of independent B horror films. If that's what you're looking for than this is probably great.[​IMG]

7. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott
    That's certainly true Eric. These sets are certainly for those who have already seen the "classics" and want to see the underbelly of certain genres.

As for a "buyer beware", if anyone buys 50 movies for $20 and is expecting Warner quality then they deserve to feel miserable for the purchase.

8. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Actually, no, it isn't. One thing I love about the internet is how so many experts chime in. I have 3 of these sets myself. These are the 50 movie, 12 disc ones from Mill Creek Enteratinment. Yes, the video quality ranges from OK to not exactly OK. Included in them ARE Hammer films and other completely unknown ones like Bad Taste, Carnival of Souls, Deep Red, Gothic, Nosferatu, Little Shop of Horrors, The Last Man on Earth and Dementia 13 and so on. Sure there is a lot of garbage, but that's actually part of the fun of it.

For a total cost of about $45 I got 150 weird movies I can pop in the player whenever the urge hits. For anyone who isn't a total snob, it's a lot of cheap fun.

9. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott
    I've got 9 of those 50-movie sets, seven 10-movie sets and countless 8 films on 2-disc sets so I share your love of these.

The only problem with the titles you mentioned is the fact that those are titles that have better versions out there. Most of those films have die-hard fans that bought the official releases. These box sets really aren't a good way to get a definitive version of NOSFERATU. They're basically good for getting films that won't be released by the bigger or middle guys. Two of those titles are cut and all of them are in the wrong aspect ratio.

10. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Michael, you are absolutely right. Of course, I never said they were great, or even good versions of any of the movies I mentioned. I specifically said the transfers were OK at best. Most aren't even that. My real point is that it was stated that they contain nothing anyone has ever heard of or would ever want, and that just isn't true. A lot of the rest are weird fun too, which is the real reason for trying out these sets.

11. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott
    You're certainly right there. To me these sets work wonder because you can try out fifty films and then see if you would pay $20 for a SE of any of them. These sets have saved me a lot of money over the years by being able to sample a movie on here (for $0.25) instead of paying $20. It's also a lot cheaper to buy these sets instead of trying to track down the VHS, which have been out of print for 10+ years.

12. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Plus, I can't be the only one who sometimes feels like a beer, pizza and a really campy movie.

13. Jon Baker

Jon Baker Stunt Coordinator

I'm wondering a few things about these budget line releases.

1. I've bought the 50 movie pack and others and I notice that some of the films have a streaking or ghosting effect when the subject moves. What causes this? is this due to compression? and if so, why does it happen on some films and not others? Also notice that the films run appox. 75-90 mins each and w/ 2 films per side - that wouldn't require a lot of compression would it?

2. I noticed that the version of "Bad Taste" on one of these sets looks terrible, but there is a better version of the film available in widescreen and remastered from Anchor Bay. Why wouldn't Mill Creek or Treeline use the version from that source to put on their set instead of taking it from a poor quality video source?

3. How does one go about finding out which budget line versions to buy. Say if i wanted a copy of "Molly & Lawless John", which only exists on various budget line releases, how would I go about finding out which release is the best quality? is there a website that does comparisons of budget and public domain releases?

4. this is a longshot - I notice that Mill Creek has released a 10 movie set called "Gore and More" stating that the set contains "3 digitally remastered DVDs". This set includes films also released on their 50 movie packs. Am I to guess that the quality of say "Bad Taste" from "Gore and More" is going to be remastered and look 5 times better than the horrible version that exists on the 50 movie pack? I mean the quality of "Bad Taste" on he 50 Movie Pack looks so awful that I can't believe they'd include that same version on another set and claim it's "digitally remastered". Also thought it was ironic that the back of the 'Gore and More" set says "Hours of Family Home Viewing Entertainment!"

Any help with these would be great.

14. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

I've (now) got 13 of these 50-movie sets as well as countless 10 movie sets, 5-movie sets and various other items. I doubt you're going to find a good looking copy of BAD TASTE out of any of them. They all say "digitally remastered" because companies can use that term simply by putting a movie onto a DVD. If you're paying $20 for 50 movies then quality isn't going to be the greatest.

These sets aren't for Home Theater nuts. They never will be and they aren't really for casual fans. They're good to remember the old days of watching these films as well as a "rental" program. I mean, are you interested in HOUSE ON THE EDGE OF THE PARK? Well, instead of paying $20 for you, you could view the copy on that 50-movie pack and then see if you like it and want to upgrade. You also got 49 other movies you can view.

As for your first question, I'm going to guess it has more to do with source material rather than compression.

Mill Creek just released another set recently called "DRIVE-IN" and it features all sorts of blaxploitation, horror, Euro and other type releases.

15. Jon Baker

Jon Baker Stunt Coordinator

Michael - thanks for the info.

Funny you should mention "House on the Edge of the Park" since I did exactly that with that very film. I loved it on the Brentwood set so I was happy enough to upgrade to the Shriek Show release. You're right about these sets being good "screeners"

I did pick up the "Drive-in" 50 Movie pack because it included "Savage Weekend" and "Don't Open Til Christmas" as well as "Chilling Classics" 50 Movie pack for "Funeral Home", "Drive-in Massacre" and 'Dr. Torr's Torture Dungeon" This was just this week so that's what prompted me to post my questions. I had previously ordered the "digitally Remastered" Gore and More set, but hadn't opened it since I found these 50 movie packs. I'm going to probably send it back, although I did just email Mill Creek regarding my question about the "Digitally Remastered" DVDs. I'll keep you posted if/when I get a reply.

16. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

This is a fun one in that there is a lot of stuff on there that I never thought would be released on DVD.

Especially surprised to see PRIME TIME, a sketch comedy film (like KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE) starring Warren Oates, Fred Dreyer and a bunch of others. The long gone Paragon (anyone remember them) released it on video and it has been out of print for years.

There are a couple of Dario Argento films, in alternate versions than what is out on DVD. The Jennifer Connelly CREEPERS is on the set, meanhwhile the (much better quality) PHENOMENA is officially out there. Another one of his is on there under an alternate name.

KATIE'S PASSION is actually a dubbed version of the quite good Paul Verhoeven / Ruger Hauer film KEETJE TIPPEL. Pretty bad quality though, but the whole set costs less than the Anchor Bay version.

A few other so bad they are great films you can't believe were made in the first place. One about drug runners in the South that is like the DUKES OF HAZZARD that can't have ever seen much theatrical business. And another shot on video 80's horror movie. I don't think any company will release these again.

So, well worth getting.

17. The best part is that you can often find sets like this far cheaper than their retail price. I once found one for about $10 at Best Buy and gladly bought it.

It's funny because most of us probably fell in love with films by watching them under less-than-stellar circumstances (ie. crappy tv; vhs; etc). When I see online film discussions, I sometimes wonder if people have forgotten that this stuff is supposed to be fun. [​IMG]

18. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott
    I just opened the Drive-In Collection a few days ago. I watched Naschy's VENGEANCE OF THE ZOMBIES as well as VOODOO BLACK EXORCIST. Neither film was any good but it made for an interesting double feature. [​IMG]

The other alternate version Argento is UNSANE, the American version of TENEBRE.

SAVAGE WEEKEND was a real hoot!!

19. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    Only twice have I seen that buying from any of those bottom of the barrel companies was worth it.

Alpha Video put out "Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla." I don't know who they stole it from, but it's a beautiful print.

The second company is Navarre that put out "Rocketship X-M." The Wade Williams Collection supposetly put out the definite version, but they refilmed a few parts and tinted the Mars scene. Since that was the only version I'm glad Navarre put out the original version. It's not in great shape, but it's pretty darn good looking. Navarre put out quite a few "Triple Features-Sci-Fi Classics" and this one that had "RX-M also had "Devil Girl from Mars and Monster from Green Hell." Both of these are terrible prints and both have been released in great looking prints from Image.

20. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Why is it so many people just don't get it?