What's new

50' Audio and S-Video Runs: What To Buy? (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Who offers 50 ft. audio and s-video cables at a very reasonable price? Is it more cost effective to make my own?

BTW: This is actually for my buddy's parents whose component rack and TV will be on opposite ends of the room.

Thanks

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Some things require tools to make and 's' is very time consuming trying to fit the wires in the connector. 50 ft. is about the maximum I would go for an 's' cable. You can go to places like www.milestek.com to have stuff made up. Video grade RCA cables which also can carry audio are $12 plus $0.20 ft. per cable (part no. CA-1394-XXX, where XXX is the lenght in inches). They can also make custom lenght 'S' cables, a 50 ft. cable stock (part 29-100-600) is $12.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
for very good s-video cables I'd go with Avcable.com

You could also look at their s-video break outs and use RG6 cable for the majority of the length.

Arthur W

Auditioning
You can also get good S Video cables from EXTRON. A 50' S Video Cable is $75.00 (prt#26-316-05). You can order the Extron cable from Crown Magnetics (1-800-736-9001).

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
One thing to keep in mind is that if you're running this cable through walls or under the floor is that the connectors will be a real pain to fish through. In these situations making your own is basically a necessity. If it's a pain in the neck run you might also want to consider running some a component cable (or just extra unterminated RG6 runs) incase they want to go to component connections in the future. It's usually easier to do it all at once rather than fishing through extra times.

-- Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks