What's new

50-60" RPTV thats not HD? (1 Viewer)

AndrewGordon

Auditioning
Hey everyone, I am looking to replace my Sony 46XBR that got destroyed when I moved. I have a non-progressive DVD and will use regular old cable. Any 50-60" models anyone would suggest to meet my meager needs?

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
All the major brands make decent non-HD sets in that size range, but personally, I'd rather have a 43" HD set (like Toshiba's 43HX70) than a 60" non-HD set. I just think it's a better investment in the long run.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Having an interlaced DVD player doesn't preclude using a progressive scan TV. The image is more stable and detailed compared to interlaced as the entire picture is presented at once. Plus you have the option of adding a progressive player or HDTV in the future. I would have to agree with Johnny that at this time it's hard to recommend buying an analog set.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I asked a similar thing in another thread. Does anyone here buy non-HD RPTV's anymore? They look so shitty compared to the HD-monitors in the store that they have to be hard sells these days. BUT they are so inexpensive right now, just a little over $1K for a 60" set. Will they even drop in price even more?
/Mike

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
BUT they are so inexpensive right now...
...and for a reason.
wink.gif
You nailed it above. Side by side an intelligent consumer could not possibly prefer interlaced to progressive. Prior to upgrading to his 56H80 (bastard
wink.gif
) Jeff Kowerchuk had a Toshiba interlaced that was fairly close to the seating position (a function of the room's design). Before I became accustomed to progressive scan the "venetian blind" effect was only a minor annoyance. Afterwards I couldn't even watch it. And after Jeff went progressive he quickly realized the same thing.
The moral is that, yes, you could save a tidy sum by purchasing an analog set. But as soon as you get a real taste of progressive scan you will be disappointed from then on. And the money you saved will mean precisely bupkus. Buy for value, not cost.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
quote: But as soon as you get a real taste of progressive scan you will be disappointed from then on. And the money you saved will mean precisely bupkus. [/quote]
Around this time last year I decided I was going to buy an RPTV. I'd planned on spending $1000 - $1500, *maybe* pushing it up to $2K to get a bigger, nicer set. I walked in and saw the HD right next to the regular sets, outputting a standard analog signal. There was just no comparison. I told my wife that if we could not get the HD set then we weren't getting one, period. I would not have been happy with it - I mean, the regular sets looked horrible! Absolutely horrible. Granted, they were better than similar sized sets 5 years ago, but still! I can't see anyone actually purchasing one.
We went with a modest $3500.00 Sony KP61HS10. It was one of Best Buy's least expensive HD ready big screens. When I had problems with the Sony a day after it arrived I swapped it for a Toshiba TW65X81 for $5500. Add on the progressive scan DVD player ($700), a VCR ($150), extended warranty and tax and I had $7000+ invested. Then room treatments (motorized blinds) and other goodies and I have a ~$10K home theater. Ouch. That's horrible, considering I went in with the goal of spending only +/- $1500.
But, I'm happy, and I wouldn't have been otherwise. It would be silly to spend $1500 on something that will make you cringe every time you walk past it. And you don't have to spend $10K to get a nice theater. The Toshiba TW65H80 (same set I have) is only ~$2500 now, and it's going to look absolutely amazing even with a regular old DVD player. A regular set just would not compare.
I'm with the others: Spend the extra money and get an HD set. You won't be disappointed.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )

Frank Frandsen

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased a Mitsubishi 50-707 about 8 months ago and could not be happier. No, it is not HD, but the majority of my viewing is digital cable. Prior to getting this set I had a Sony wega 36xbr400 for 3 weeks. I was never really that satisfied with it. It was especially bad with cable, everything looked pixelized. I do not have a progressive DVD player put certain DVDs were breath taking, however.
I got my Mitsubishi for only $900. It was shipped direct from mitsubishi to my house. It was the company's way of compensating me for my 40fx1 direct view that's tube went bad after 6 years. The picture is alot better than that was.
For $900 I'm satisfied. It is 4.3 so I don't have to worry about burn in or looking at streched images. I figure in a couple years HDTV will be commonplace enough to justify the expense or maybe DLP sets will come down in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks