50-60" RPTV thats not HD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndrewGordon, Jun 28, 2001.

1. AndrewGordon

AndrewGordon Auditioning

Hey everyone, I am looking to replace my Sony 46XBR that got destroyed when I moved. I have a non-progressive DVD and will use regular old cable. Any 50-60" models anyone would suggest to meet my meager needs?

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

All the major brands make decent non-HD sets in that size range, but personally, I'd rather have a 43" HD set (like Toshiba's 43HX70) than a 60" non-HD set. I just think it's a better investment in the long run.
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Having an interlaced DVD player doesn't preclude using a progressive scan TV. The image is more stable and detailed compared to interlaced as the entire picture is presented at once. Plus you have the option of adding a progressive player or HDTV in the future. I would have to agree with Johnny that at this time it's hard to recommend buying an analog set.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I asked a similar thing in another thread. Does anyone here buy non-HD RPTV's anymore? They look so shitty compared to the HD-monitors in the store that they have to be hard sells these days. BUT they are so inexpensive right now, just a little over $1K for a 60" set. Will they even drop in price even more?
    /Mike

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

6. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

quote: But as soon as you get a real taste of progressive scan you will be disappointed from then on. And the money you saved will mean precisely bupkus. [/quote]
    Around this time last year I decided I was going to buy an RPTV. I'd planned on spending $1000 - $1500, *maybe* pushing it up to $2K to get a bigger, nicer set. I walked in and saw the HD right next to the regular sets, outputting a standard analog signal. There was just no comparison. I told my wife that if we could not get the HD set then we weren't getting one, period. I would not have been happy with it - I mean, the regular sets looked horrible! Absolutely horrible. Granted, they were better than similar sized sets 5 years ago, but still! I can't see anyone actually purchasing one.
    We went with a modest $3500.00 Sony KP61HS10. It was one of Best Buy's least expensive HD ready big screens. When I had problems with the Sony a day after it arrived I swapped it for a Toshiba TW65X81 for $5500. Add on the progressive scan DVD player ($700), a VCR ($150), extended warranty and tax and I had $7000+ invested. Then room treatments (motorized blinds) and other goodies and I have a ~$10K home theater. Ouch. That's horrible, considering I went in with the goal of spending only +/- $1500.
    But, I'm happy, and I wouldn't have been otherwise. It would be silly to spend $1500 on something that will make you cringe every time you walk past it. And you don't have to spend $10K to get a nice theater. The Toshiba TW65H80 (same set I have) is only ~$2500 now, and it's going to look absolutely amazing even with a regular old DVD player. A regular set just would not compare.
    I'm with the others: Spend the extra money and get an HD set. You won't be disappointed.
    ------------------
    -Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )

7. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

I purchased a Mitsubishi 50-707 about 8 months ago and could not be happier. No, it is not HD, but the majority of my viewing is digital cable. Prior to getting this set I had a Sony wega 36xbr400 for 3 weeks. I was never really that satisfied with it. It was especially bad with cable, everything looked pixelized. I do not have a progressive DVD player put certain DVDs were breath taking, however.
    I got my Mitsubishi for only $900. It was shipped direct from mitsubishi to my house. It was the company's way of compensating me for my 40fx1 direct view that's tube went bad after 6 years. The picture is alot better than that was.
    For $900 I'm satisfied. It is 4.3 so I don't have to worry about burn in or looking at streched images. I figure in a couple years HDTV will be commonplace enough to justify the expense or maybe DLP sets will come down in price.