50-52" RP w/ good: SD PQ, blk level, resolution, low reflectivity, limited SDE & SSE

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bob-Smith, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Bob-Smith

Bob-Smith Agent

Please help. I realize each RPTV technology has good and bad features. The subject line reveals the important features in my decision to buy a RPTV. I will watch SD/analog mostly and would like very good PQ on basic input. I like crisp accurate colors. I want good black levels, low refective screen, and limited SDE & SSE at 10-12' viewing. I am not stuck on plasma, DLP, LCos or LCD. There are millions of hours of experience on this forum - is there somebody that has satisfied this wishlist? Thanks for your help.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

You can't get everything in one technology, if you could, the other technologies would have disappeared.

Plasma exells at almost everything on your list with the exception of low screen reflectivity. The plasma makers are working on this, however, there is still a ways to go.

You have to rate your priorities. If you watch mostly SD, plasma a several cuts above the other technologies. A 50 inch Panasonic plasma will run you around $3,500.

If you are willing to give up picture quality in SD the Sony Grand Wega KDF-E50A10, at $2,500, is the top performer among LCD, DLP,LCoS.

You have to decide whether you can live with the potential for reflections, or lesser picture quality in most other areas, especially on SD/analog.

That is the whole story in a nutshell.