50" 1080P Rear projection: who's best at STANDARD def?

Brett_H

Second Unit
I'm in the market for a 50" rear projection TV. I'm looking at the Samsung HL-S5087W, the Sony KDS50A2000, and the JVC HD-56FN97 (or FH97). I'm open to others, that's just my short list as of now.

I'm pretty sure all of them will look great when fed a good HD signal. What I'm concerned with is standard def stuff, specifically, my Time Warner cable feed. Who's the best at displaying SD content these days? Any reviews or comparisons out there? Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Brett.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have the 55" version of the Sony SXRD you are looking at. and the SD broadcasts don't look that great. I haven't compared this set to any others SD broadcast, though.

Even though I am not impressed with the SD broadcasts from my Sony, I am still very pleased with this set. I chose this set because I liked the HD broadcast. With more channels available in HD, I really don't watch much SD stuff anymore.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I've always felt the Sony's do SD better than the Samsungs.

Try to see a demo at a dealer that sells both.

Brett_H

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies, guys. I went to Circuit City today at lunch with hopes of seeing the 50A200 in action on some SD material, but no dice. The one salesperson was tied up with a customer so I tried cycling through the inputs. Nothing but a HD feed of some sort... I'll have to try another store.

Still open to hear opinions on who does the best job on SD, but I am coming to the realization that it just might be a bad idea to let this factor be the deciding one.

-Brett.

Greg Gable

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg

I have a nice 3 year old 55" Mitsubishi 1080HD that I would give you a good deal on if you are anywhere near Texas.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
You can forget CC and Best Buy for seeing anything but the HD feed they send to all the TV sets. You might try a specialty store. Those places usually have a direct feed from a satellite provider and that would allow you to see some SD broadcasts.

Brett_H

Second Unit

I'm in Cleveland, OH so I think I'm a bit out of range. Thanks for the offer, though.

Marty, I've got a decent local store that I'll try to stop by some evening. Thanks for the tip.

-Brett.

Brett_H

Second Unit
Last night I went to a local electronics shop that had the Sony KD-S50A2000 on display. I got to sample it on HD, DVD, and SD content and I must say I was impressed. The store had the same cable system feed that my house does and SD stuff was very watchable. It was hooked up using the standard coax (no cable box) and the TV was doing the upconversion. It was the best that I've seen so far, and for sure something I could live with.

I really need to find a local retailer (other than CC or Best Buy) that carries the Samsung so I can see what it looks like. The price difference is not insignificant: the Sony is $2050 locally, the Samsung can be had for around $1650 from Onecall.

-Brett.

Tom Keels

Stunt Coordinator
That is great to know Brett. That TV is on my short list along with the Samsung. If you find out about it please post it here.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo