What's new

50,000 Sony HDTV's may be recalled (1 Viewer)

Jim Christian

Stunt Coordinator
Posted by a member and unverified from the Sony HDTV Tips Yahoo eGroup at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyhs10/
Hello All:
I just got off the phone with the local folks that are completing
the "flicker" repairs on my KP57Ws500. He said that the CRT's and
boards were replaced but that Get this: "they were contacted by Sony
yesterday and told not to fire the tv backup until a software update
is received from Sony; supposedly Sony Japan engineers are completing
a software update? that needs to be run/installed to correct the now
known problem there is with the Flickers. Has anyone else heard this?
This sounds very interesting and I was surprised to from the same
contact that Sony acknowledged that they know it is an issue and they
told him that some 50,000 sets may be involved.
The software update/patch is supposedly in conjunction with the CRT & board
replacement. From what I was told this software fix is to be done after the
hardware fix so it will correct the Flicker problem. I didn't note it on my
first post, but when I asked them when they expected this software fix from
the engineers they had been told it would be available within 48hrs. (holding
my breath)..
Also do a search on the word flicker in past posts and see the files and links for more.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
There probably won't be a recall, just a service bulletin issued.

From what I've been able to glean, the flicker affects HW40 and WS500 models with serial numbers starting with 90. I have a KP57HW40 mfg Sept 01, Serial number starts with 97, no flicker in 15 months of heavy use.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I sure hope they figure something out. I was planning on buying the KP-57WS500 or WV600 but I got to tell ya Sony is about to lose another customer if this kind of stuff keeps going on:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Joe,
The flicker problem doesn't occur on the WV series sets, to the best of my knowledge. WS models probably have had the updates done in recent production sets.

At least in this case Sony has identified the problem and come up with a cure, though not as quickly as some might wish.

Having gone through the lipsynch issue with one of their 550D dvd players a few years ago and had it fixed satisfactorily by Sony (the player is still performing flawlessly for my Ex), I can say that I've been ok with Sony's handling of glitches.

I work in the service dept. of a large Toyota dealer so am no stranger to Service Bulletins, recalls and such. They do tend to take a while because the mfg has to be reasonably sure the cure will actually work.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Steve, I think you are right on the 600 series. I had thought that 500,600,&700 series was affected but I have done some more looking around & it looks like it may be just the WS500 series.
I sure hope this is the case cause if so I will just go with the KP600.

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
There is a service bulletin for the affected sets. Mine just recently started to flicker. I was told the CRT's are on back-order. I'll find out today how long the wait is. Personally, I'd rather exchange my set for a new, unaffected model but I don't know if Best Buy would agree to that.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Sony is like that, I have a sony receiver and i took it in for repairs because i was gettign no sound from some channels, lo and behold the repair shop took it replaced a few parts that were listed on a tech bulliten and they had nothignt o do with my problem, i guess its cheaper for sony to only repair the sets of those who complain.

Jim Christian

Stunt Coordinator
The above ROM update is new and there is not a service bulletin out on it yet. Make sure you tell the service guy about it.

Rich Chiavaroli

Stunt Coordinator
From what I've read, Sony won't do a recall because they can't determine which sets may have the problem. I guess the issue is with one type of CRT they've put in the sets. There might be 3 or more different types that they've used, and they can't say that one specific machine has these CRT's while another doesn't.

I've also read that they'll repair the sets even out of warranty.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"the player is still performing flawlessly for my Ex"
AAwww that's too bad:D
Brent
Sorry, but she is your EX

im waiting for parts for mine as well. ive only had the set for 5 months and its getting worse every day. I wonder if they will callibrate the set after they put all those parts into it.

Gary_Sc

Agent
There is some good info on the Home Theater Spot regarding the flicker issue. I doubt there will be a recall. According to Sony it affects only a small portion of sets (

Gary_Sc

Agent
Also, if you are waiting on parts from a local tech/service company I would try calling the "Sony at your Service" support number. Others have had success escalating their parts order when the local tech says they are on back order.

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
My parts are back-ordered but my problem is not that bad. MY biggest concern is whether or not the service techs have any idea what they're doing. The worst part is they need to remove the part of the TV where the boards are and take it back to their shop to solder the new resistors on. I guess it's better than them taking the whole TV. I was told that they would calibrate the TV afterward (they really have to when they change the CRT's).

they didn't say anything to me about have to take parts back to there shop. im almost positive they said new CRTs and boards had to be installed into my set. hope im not with out the tv for to long. will the calibration they do be good or are they just going to get "close" ?

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Well, my Sony KP57HW40 is officially plagued with the FLICKER curse. A repairman came to my house to verify it (and seemed to be very aware of this current problem). He called Sony from my house and was told that ALL of these sets are affected, not just the few "1%" that I'd read about on the Home Theater Spot, and that ALL of these sets will require replacement of all 3 CRTs and associated circuitry. He said he was "surprised that my set didn't start flickering before now"....and that the norm was between 200 and 1000 viewing hours before the FLICKER materialized. I read that Sony is extending THEIR warranty for these sets to cover this problem.
Despite having purchased the extended "in-home" warranty from Circuit City, the repairman told me that he'd "rather send the set to Charlotte for repair" for 2-or-more weeks than to fix the set at my house which would take him "all day"!!! It seems that Circuit City would rather inconvenience their customers for 2 weeks, than tie up their repairman for 1 day!
Needless to say, that's my LAST purchase at Circuit City! They also refused to give me a loaner set while mine is being repaired! Instead they said that they'd reimbursement me for a portion of the cost of a rental, though. How sweet. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Mine is one of the early production KP57HW40s with a serial number starting with 97 rather than 90--no flicker in 16 months of heavy use. I didn't buy the extended wty at the time of purchase, but cc sent me an offer to buy one just before the factory wty ran out so I took them up on it.

Frankly, if my set needed new crts and board replacements, I'd rather it was done at a shop instead of in my home provided I could get a loaner to tide me over. I work on cars for a living and know for sure that it's a lot easier to do a good job in the shop than in someone's driveway.

Scott_L

Agent
Real Name
Scott
Anyone know if the Sony FD Trinitron WEGA KV-27FS100 model has the flickering bug?

Thanks,

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks