5-Way Binding Posts

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by SeanA, May 12, 2003.

1. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

I believe I have these on my receiver and speakers, but still do not know all the different means of hooking up to the 5-way binding posts. On my speakers, I am using Monster clampless speaker wire pins which are inserted into the cross-ways hole in the 5-way post and clamped down by tightening the nut. I really don't like this connection because it seems the nut of the 5-way binding post tends to loosen up fairly quickly, and my speakers have actually become disconnected a few times. I am just wondering if there is any resource that shows the different means of connecting to the 5-way binding posts, and some of the pluses/minuses of each type of connection ???

Based on another posting in this same forum, it seems the banana plugs may be a more secure method. Also, I have "bi-wired" my speakers and so would be concerned about getting the extra speaker wire to fit in the connector of choice. This is not a problem at my speakers since they come with dual posts (treble and bass, specifically for bi-wiring), but my receiver does not. What is the best connector for cramming in two speaker wires ???

2. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    While banana plugs do not necessarily provide the 'best' connection, they are more convienient. To Bi-Wire, you would want to get some dual banana plugs like these: Dual Red Banana Plug . If your binding posts are true 5-way, then the duals should work fine. You just plug the second set of biwires into the rear of the dual jacks.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I usually found the wires would pull out of the pins/bananas rather than the binding posts. The Monster "Twist Crimp" plugs were very bad because of this.

Go to Radio Shack and buy 1 set of their dual banana plugs (2xx-308) and bring them home to test for spacing. (no, not all receivers/speakers use identical spacing). I really like these bananas for behind the speakers. But they stick out too far so I now use the single-bananas (2xx-306).

On the binding post issue:

- Bare wire is considerd the 'best'. But if you use thick 12 ga, it's really hard to thread the side-holes in 10 of these and do a neat job. (Neatness is VERY IMPORTANT for speaker wires. A loose thread of copper can cause a short later)

- Pins were developed for the "Spring Clip" connectors, but they can be used for the binding posts.

- Bananas are friction-fit, very handy and make it easy to connect/disconnect in the crowded cluster of posts.

- Spades are the THX standard, but you need to find a good spade and have a good crimp-tool to make sure the wires dont simply pull out after a few months.

- Lugs/rings have the same issues as Spades.

Try the 2 Radio Shack suggestions. They were a godsend for my system. They dont require any special tools (other than the wire strippers), and I have not had a loose connection in years.

4. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Lee & Bob,

Thanks for the great information.

I am still a little confused though as to whether or not I have true 5-way Binding Posts. Would anyone have a photo or link to post that shows what they look like and maybe even how to connect to them ?

I am also confused about the dual banana plugs. If the spacing is right, I can see how it would work with my speakers since they come with an extra set of binding posts specifically for bi-wiring. But I don't see how this helps me on my receiver where I have to run a pair of speaker wires to each post. I was thinking the dual banana plug would have two inlet connectors for the speaker wire, but only a single plug end. Is it possible to connect two speaker wires (I think I have 12 ga.) to a "single" banana plug ?

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The dual plugs have 2 banana plugs separated by a solid plastic bar. One for each wire in a speaker wire.

The Radio Shack units take the wire in the sides, and leave openings in the back for another banana. You can biwire this way. But I think most people who bi-wire get the plugs that can handle 10 ga wire and shove 2 sets of wires into the side. (This might be an argument for using 16 ga wire for your main speakers - so they can both fit in the hole).

Binding Posts: They look like pairs of Red & Black knobs. Try un-screwing one and the cap should screw up to reveal a hole in the side of the center post.

6. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Thanks again Bob,

Looks like I might have a tough time using the banana plugs behind my receiver, but my direct wire connection there seems to hold up well compared to the pins I am using in the speaker posts.

Based on your description of the binding posts, I do think that is what I have on both my speakers and receiver. It is the side hole on the center post that I use to make my pin connections to the speakers... and this is the connection that loosens up easily.

Thanks a Bunch !!!

7. Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith Agent

ok for a good visual here is what binding post look like

u should have this on your speakers

u should have these on your reciever

should look somthing like the above, here is a good description of its usage and follow the links for info in the connectors used [spades, bannana plugs etc]

if u dont need to disconnect ur speakers often i would juz use bar wire on your speakers in the same way you have used the pins [through the hole]and then for neatness [important as stated earlier] use bannana plugs on your reciever

hope this helps good luck
    nathan

8. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Hey Nathan,

Thanks... I think that confirms that my binding posts are 5-way. The photos are very close to what my binding posts look like on my speakers and receiver, except that my speakers have a second pair of binding posts spaced a short distance apart vertically (for easy bi-wiring as I mentioned... one pair for base and one pair for treble).

Would you mind checking your third link on connecting to the 5-way binding posts ? I can not get it to open. I would love to see this since I have still not decided what I want to do with my speaker connections.

9. Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith Agent