What's new

5 Way Binding Posts Center channel to RCA amp input (1 Viewer)

I have an amplifier that only has an rca output for my center channel. Is it possible to buy a new center channel that has five way binding post, take an rca cable, plug it into my amp output, remove the other end of the rca cable, and put the bare wire from the rca into the binding posts of the center channel?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
John,

It might be helpful to know more about your equipment (i.e., an amplifier isn’t going to have a center channel input without also having a center channel output – so is it a receiver? Integrated amp?).

But the short answer is that whatever is supposed to go into or out of the RCA jack is line-level signal and will not be able to drive a speaker.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John S

Senior HTF Member
Very very rarely would an RCA be for the speaker connection, I won't say I have never seen it, but very very rare.

If that RCA is truly your center speaker out, it should work as you described.

I would assume this to be a very old pro-logic HTIB sort of thing? Please give more details on the make and model of your amp.

Can I ask why you are replacing your center speaker?

Actually, it is a Panasonic 5.1 Ready Stereo with built in Pro-Logic Decoding. I have a Sony Processor to do the Dolby Digital Decoding. I am replacing my center channel because the one that came with the Panansonic is jus a little Panasonic which cannot handle movies very well. It distorts and has "chesty" voices all the time. I wanted to buy just a decent one that wouldn't distort. The stereo only outputs 70 watts to the center speaker, and I run the stereo at -38 db. I set the processor volume on a scale of 1-10 at about 7. I turn the volume on my center channel on the processor at +10 db, and from the stereo at +6 db. If anyone has any decent, low priced center speaker recommendations, I would be pleased to hear them. My current speaker is 8 ohms with the rca connection.

John S

Senior HTF Member
In your case go for it.....

You may want to go a head and buy a surround speaker package including either fronts and a center, or fronts, surrounds, center and subwoofer to tell you the truth.

The JBL SCS135 is the one, most people are using to upgrade systems such as yours though, it includes a decent powered sub, for relatively dramatic results can also be had for under $200

I think this would be provide a much more rewarding experience for you, for not much over what you would pay for a single center channel speaker. especially on your dolby digital dvd experience.

I did find several under $100 options on the following link....

http://www1.pricetool.com/xPP-Home_T...ange_under_100

Good luck with your purchase!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks