What's new

5 to 7 disc CD Changers (1 Viewer)

Stephen terp

Auditioning
I'm looking to purchase a new CD changers in the $150.00 range. I have not researched resently and looking for the following features/qualities:

1. 5 to 7 disc capability.
2. Can change out disc while player is still playing.
3. All disc random play. Important note: some CD changer's random play tends to get hung up on (1) disc, I want one that is reliable and changes to new disc each time.
4. Has good speed changing between disc in random play.
5. As with all A/V equipment, a changer that has been reliable, meaning it doesn't give the old "can't read disc" error message or the carousel gets hung up and won't open etc.

I'm intending to use this player for parties etc. and not expecting the highest quality sound! Also, not interested in the mega disc (+/- 200 disc) players!

I'd be interested in a multi-disc DVD player but do not see any in that price range but if someone has purchased one near that price, I'd be interested. I've heard that multi disc DVD players sometimes are slow when it comes to loading & unloading, disc changing etc.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'd serious look at the current models from Marantz. I had their entry level unit a few years ago and it was fantastic. Build quality was high, disc swapping speed was quick and most importantly it sounded great.

You might also consider the Sony SACD 5 disc changer providing your receiver/pre amp has high quality DACs since its internal DACs aren't as good as the Marantz's.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Stephen, Andrew makes a good point regarding Marantz carousel changers. However, the cheapest Marantz unit, the CC3000 typically sells for $200. Perhaps you can stretch your budget a bit? One thing I like about the Marantz changers is that the carousel mechanism is excellent. It is very fast and smooth. However, when using the internal DAC, I find the Marantz changers to be a bit too warm. Some like that presentation, but it isn't my cup of tea.

The Sony changer that Andrew alluded to is the SCD-CE775. In addition to playing CDs, it also plays SACDs, which sound better than CDs. The 'CE775 is a five-disc carousel changer, and the price was slashed a couple of months ago. It originally sold for $350, but is now available for $180. Best Buy and Circuit City have sold this player, but stores in my area no longer have it. Check your brick-and-mortar stores. In addition, try J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), Oade Bros. (1-229-228-4480 or 1-229-228-0093), and OneCall (1-800-340-4770) by mail. All three are authorized dealers and are reputable. I just got a flier in the mail from J&R yesterday that shows the 'CE775 available for $180.

The 'CE775 isn't the greatest CD player out there, but it is quite good for the money. It gives a more detailed presentation than the Marantz models, in my opinion. I am considering playback via these players' internal DACs. You can use either one of them as transport. However, you have to use the analog outputs for playback of SACDs on the 'CE775. SACDs sound outstanding on the 'CE775 considering the price.

Your choices of CD changers are limited at $150 and below. I would consider the 'CE775 and the Marantz CC3000 for a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks