5 TB's + 1 ST?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_JLtZD, Dec 18, 2002.

1. John_JLtZD

John_JLtZD Extra

has anyone made a HT setup with something like 5, 3" TBs and 1 supertweeter per cabinet?

I'm getting my head around the sub thing but I am still a total fool in regards to non-sub speaker design.

I just noticed that the rms on the tangbands is only 15w. My HT amp is 100/channel so I should be able to drive 5 of them with a tweeter per box.

Any clues on how that would sound?

Would it make sense to add some MCM 54-606's to it? Would adding the 606's destroy the whole 'wide range' concept?

I really like the idea of line arrays but it exceeds all WAF factors. I'm already pushing the limits with the tempest (parts arrived this week and woodchips are flying).

Only speculation at this point, looking to get another project lined up for next year.

thanks,

Johh H

2. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

I don't know about a TM using the TB drivers, but search for the ELF or ANT 1.5 speakers using two full-range drivers. They seem to be highly regarded, and are inexpensive. I am sure that the "experts" will chime in on the power rating issue, but it is my understanding that listening to music and/or movies at rational levels does not really strain modern speakers (because music does not require steady-state power delivery like test tones.) I believe the guys at RAWAcoustics are working with the MCM driver, so you might check with them.
    JP

3. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

4. John_JLtZD

John_JLtZD Extra

The 4" look like they go lower but still get high enough to cross over with the tweeter around 12k (I think).

I am looking at adding the tweeter because I've read reviews where builders have felt they were lacking.

I almost understand that I need to add a 'step' to the second driver so they don't interfere with eachother.

I'm still curious as to how 5, 3" would compare to 2, 4"s. I'm sure there is a very logical explanation for why so many 3's is a bad plan....anyone?

Thanks,

JL

5. John_JLtZD

John_JLtZD Extra

dbl post

6. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

>I'm still curious as to how 5, 3" would compare to 2, 4"s. I'm sure there is a very logical explanation for why so many 3's is a bad plan....anyone?
    ====
    Five 3" could be EQ'd to go as low as two 4", loosing much of any efficiency/sensitivity gain, but probably wouldn't be noticeably louder/take up more space/would have to be XO'd lower to the super tweeter to minmize audible comb filtering, and present an odd load to the amp.

Only one way to know for sure though.....

GM

7. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

The 3" TBs dont have much x-max. Baffle step corection would be hard because it is close to the FS of the speaker and the impedence is not linear there. So getting any bass would be very difficult. The 4" need impedence eq circuit and would have a F3 of about 70 Hz with a split 2 order L-R x-over, woofer 5500 Hz and the tweeter 3000 Hz phase looks real good. Of course baffle step correction beggining @ about 500Hz and tweeter pading. Box is a H18"xW8"xD12" 3/4" MDF 17.5 L vented box with a 2"x3" port tuned to 59 Hz. Might could get away with 1/2" BB. I am thinking of building these as they might be some very impresive small speakers when used with a sub, look out. A center channel with just 2 4" TB might be real interesting also in a MM config.