5 speakers for around $725 shipped or under .... Ascend's?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jason Hammerly, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

I am looking at starting over with my HT system. I have an HK AVR120 receiver and a Sealed Tempest sub already. I was thinking strongly about getting 3 CBM-170's across the front and 2 HTM-200 for rears. My space is about 12'x16' and about 70% HT to 30% Music. Should I consider the new center, or would the CBM-170 be adequate? Anything else to consider in this price range? THanks in advance for the advice.

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

go over to www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com and check out Brian's offerings. 5 RAD micros would be about $500, or a set of M-1s and a C-1 might be a little over budget.

I also know Brian is working on some new models, so you might ask about them. Brian is a great guy, easy to deal with, and a true craftsman. The cabinets he builds far surpass anything commerically available, and they come in the veneer of your choice.

Check it out, and give him a call. You wont regret it, I sure didn't

3. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Jason,

The Ascends, I think, would be a fine choice. Going with CBM-170s all the way around with the 340 center would be excellent. It really depends on how much you want to spend.

George's suggestion of checking out www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com would also be interesting. I have not actually seen or heard Brian's stuff, but everything posted about them is posituve.

Axioms may also be something to consider, but the stuff I have heard from them that compares to the Ascends is a little more expensive.

A lot of good stuff out there.

4. Jason Hammerly

So should I lean away from the CBM-170 as a center? My wife and I are usually the only ones watching on the theater, so off-axis resonse is not that important, especially not for my 3 year old sitting on the love seat. : ) I don't think I want to use CBM-170 as surrounds as I don't have the room on the rear wall for them. I only have 7' ceilings and I'm 6'5". The CBM-170 is so deep I think it would look bad. I don't listen to any multichannel music either. Almost all 2 channel when I do listen to it.

J

5. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

The CBM-170 is pretty good as a center, and I do feel the 340 is better. For me it was worth the difference in price.

You are 6'5" with 7' ceilings.....wow!

6. Jason Hammerly

yea .. It's in the finished basement. WHen we finished we did recessed lighting. Couldn't have fixtures as I'd probably hit my head on them. [​IMG] I'll have to decide if it's worth the extra $100. I for sure sould get THM-200 as surrounds as one is wall mounted ant the other is in a bookcase. Sealed would be better for this ap anyway. Any other thoughts as to possible speakers to look at anyone.

7. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

At a B&M store, look at the Monitor Audio Bronze stuff. I have not been able to directly compare, but at GoodGuys, the bookshelf sounded nice. Online prices are pretty good too.

And give a call to Brian Bunge at www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com. I have chatted with him. It definitely would not hurt, and you could end up with something that sounds great and matches the decor well.

The Ascend HTM-200 is definitely easier to mount...and is a great match as surrounds for HT use.

Have fun!

8. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Absolutely give Brian a call, even if you do not order anything. I have bought several cabinets from him, and when some money comes in, he will be building me a sub. He will answer all your questions (and I had a ton, and I was buying based solely on his reputation on the net) rapidly. I Guarantee that anything he makes will have better build quality than any commerically available stuff. Plus, he has 3 standard veneers (that look really great "live") and will do any other veneer for an additional cost.

It is worth a shot.