What's new

5 speakers for ~ $300 or less shipped (1 Viewer)

SamN

Agent
I am looking for new speakers to use for mainly HT and some music (15%). They will be powered by an Onkyo 595. I have a good 12" powered sub, so that is of no concern. I am looking at the JBL NSP set, as well as getting 5 Wharfedale Diamond Anniversarys. Not sure what else would be in my price range or which would be the preferred set. The problem is I will not be able to demo either set, and most likely any others due to where I live. Sucks there are no shops around here, not even a BestBuy. I plan on upgrading these in 1-3 years times, and would use them for the bedroom. What I have now are some Yamaha 12" 3-ways (5 years old), and a 3 speaker set from Audio Source (free). Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Sam

SamN

Agent
Columbus, GA. I am going to Atlanta the first of August so I can check out BestBuy, but by then the Wharfedales may be gone.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I thought that Oade Bros. was in Columbus? Maybe not. If you're interested in JBL I'm sure Phil will be along with some recommendations before long. I really don't keep up with speakers in that price range so I'm afraid I won't be of much help.

Brian

SamN

Agent
Thanks anyway, Oade Bros. is in Thomasville, Ga. We do have a small shop called Merit Sound & TV, but they mainly push Def Tech and Yamaha. The Def Techs sound nice, but for that price I believe I can do better. I plan to spend somewhere in the 1.5-2k range when I upgrade, so this is just to pasify me for now.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Nothing beats these at your pricepoint- I've installed 2 sets for friends(one has a 12 inch sub and it's a great match) and they're amazed at what you get for less than plastic speakers at a local CC or BstBuy.
The boxes are MDF and thats a silk dome tweet and a 3 way on the mains.
http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html
250.00 shipped
Good Luck

Martice

Screenwriter
Nothing beats these at your pricepoint- I've installed 2 sets for friends(one has a 12 inch sub and it's a great match) and they're amazed at what you get for less than plastic speakers at a local CC or BstBuy.
I agree. I installed 3 different systems using the Fluance HTB system and it's really hard to beat at the price point.
:emoji_thumbsup:

SamN

Agent
Thanks for the reply.. It definately looks like you get a lot for your money. I have never heard of these before though, although that really doesn't bother me. They do look much more impressive than the JBL system and they would be the same end price. I will definately consider these. Too bad someone doesn't own a shop with all the direct brands for you to compare them. That would be nice!

Maybe someone that has heard the JBL NPS package and these could compare.

SamN

Agent
I am starting to wonder if increasing my budget to $500 would be a big increase in sound quality. I am pretty hard to please (probably more like impossible) but I know the limits of a $300-$500 system. I would consider models from NHT, Paradigm, Axiom, and others that would fit into the $500 shipped price range. What are your thoughts? Will I see a big enough jump from the JBLs or Flaunces?

Michael Botvinick

Stunt Coordinator
You could also look at Home Theater Direct level II or III and Axiom speakers. I hav hard both (I own HTD installed in different room s in my home). They sond great. Anyway just my $.02. The 595 has a lot of good clean power which really makes a diffrence reagardless of which speakers you buy. Keep that in mind if you go to Best But next month.

Michael Botvinick

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry,
I don't know what happened to my typing on that last post. I forgot to mention that the HTD speakers come with a money back 30-day. The towers look rice nice also. The Axioms sound great! But don't look real nice if you need to worry about the Wife factor like I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks