5 Same-sized speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Glenn Overholt, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I am looking into getting a new set and heard that I can get better sound using five identical speakers. If anyone has done this - what are the pros and cons? What about the freq. response for the surrounds? Any trouble placing them? (as a larger surrond speaker might not hang on the wall so easily). What did you do?

Glenn

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Ideally this is optimal but its rarely feasable given room and budget constraints. One of the biggest problem is trying to use a large full range centre when your display device is a TV not a projector. The best you can really hope to do is get models that are sonically the same..at least for the mid and upper freq's...though even if you used identical bookself sized speakers all round they'd still sound different due to their interaction with the room

3. John Desmond

John Desmond Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine uses five identical ACI Emeralds in his HT. The 5.1 imaging is among the best I've heard at any price. Really fun to listen to soundtracks in his setup.
    In this scenario, the only difference in tonality comes from room placement issues. Really an excellent way to go if you can work it. My own plans for a dedicated HT include seven identical speakers for a 7.1 system.

4. WillieM

WillieM Stunt Coordinator

PSB has done a wonderful job at giving you the best of both worlds in their Image Series speakers. I have...

5T's - Front L/R (2)6-1/2" drivers. (1) 1" dome tweeter
    9C - Center (2)6-1/2" drivers. (1) 1" dome tweeter
    2B's - Rear L/R (1)6-1/2" driver. (1) 1" dome tweeter

They arn't all the same speaker, but they all have the same drivers/ tweeters/ modular enclosures. The sound matching is incredible.

5. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Andrew and John are right. In a perfect world, all the speakers should be identical but very seldom do clients do that.
    Perfect timbre and performance matching, along with careful placement has such a wonderful precision to the surround imaging; like the sounds are just hanging there in the air precisely in the spot they should be. Totally seamless panning effects too.

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I currently have two 'tall' mains with 14" bass, along with mid & tweeters. If I did get five the same, would they all have to have that, or could I cut the bass size down to say, a 10", and let the sub do the rest, or would I be missing the lower sounds?

As for placement, I think they'd all have to be sort of cubed shaped. I could put the center on the floor and point it up a little, but wouldn't/couldn't you say that would be overkill because the center is almost always just voices, which are all mid-range?

See how complicated this gets?

Glenn