What's new

5 or 7 channel amp? (1 Viewer)

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
I have a home theater setup in a 21 by 15 room (8 foot ceilings) in which I have 5 Pinnacle speakers (8 ohm impedance) powered by a Yamaha 793 (80 watts times 5). I also have a Pinnacle sub (250 watts). I plan to buy an amp while using the Yamaha as a pre-amp (it has pre-outs) but I am not sure if I should go for a 5 or 7 channel (for future protection. The Outlaw B amps have about a $300 plus difference between a 5 or 7 channel. I have no plans at present to go for rear centers but who knows?

My question-is a 7 channel setup the wave of the future? or should I settle for a 5 channel at present and consider monoblock amps if I decide to go to 7 when I buy a regular pre-amp?

John

NicholasL

Second Unit
I would suggest a 7 channel amp. You will inevitabely get bitten by the upgrade bug, and kick yourself in the pants when you need to shell out more dough for either 2 monoblocks, or a 2 channel amp. Just get the 7 channel to safeguard for the unstoppable.

Chip E

Screenwriter
I dunno.. i bought a 5 channel amp first (B&K Ref200.5) then, when i decided to go 7.1, i picked up a Ref200.2 and use the 2 channel amp for my mains. I'm pretty happy going this route. :emoji_thumbsup:
Either way will work fine. I just like like the idea of having a dedicated amp for stereo use...seperate power supply.. yada yada yada..
Now if i can just stand the wait for my PB2+..

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
Id buy 5 good channels of amplification. Your room is a little small to try to properly implement a 7 channel theater

Mark Rich

Second Unit
I'd start with a good 5 channel amp (Rotel etc.) If you ever decide to add more speakers down the road then you could buy a very good stereo amp for the front L/R speakers.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I'd go with the majority and purchase a good 5 channel now. The only good reason I can think of to overpurchase on an 7ch amp now (and deal with the inherent tradeoffs for most amps when going with more channels in one box) would be if you really don't think you'd have the space for an add'l 2ch amp or 2 mono amps. Per Tom's post, it may may not be practical to go beyond 5.1 for your room.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks