What's new

5 new Criterions in January, including Kagemusha! (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I've never heard of these Suzuki films, or any for that matter, but the cover art sure is damn cool!

I've checked Rotten Tomatoes but found no associated reviews for the listings. Are these films worth checking out and what similair style director's titles can they be compared to? What are they all about... "Fighting Elegy" in particular?

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I don't think it's been cancelled, but they're supposedly waiting for a restoration on the elements to be completed first which is taking a long time. Of course, that doesn't excuse them from not getting to work on A Canterbury Tale in the meantime.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I'd weep with joy if Criterion released A Canterbury Tale.

I have a Japanese edition of The Tales of Hoffmann, which has a good transfer, but the sound is weak and there are no extras. But a Criterion edition with a great transfer, sound and the Laserdisc extras (Scorsese commentary) would be a definate double-dip - I love Powell & Pressburger and Hoffmann is one of the great fantasy films - just ask George Romero!

49th Parallel needs a R1 release, too.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Well, maybe cancelled wasn't the right word. "off the radar" might be putting it better. But if you have some bit of new salacious info to which you alone are privy, that's good news. I've been wanting to see Hoffman for many moons. Canterbury Tale is available in the UK isn't it? I'd rather see a Criterion Oh Rosalinda!

Karl F

Stunt Coordinator
I love Grisbi -- it was on my Top Ten I-hope-this-comes-out-on-DVD-some-day list. Cross it off!

It's sort of a crime movie on the surface, but really, it's about loyalty and growing old. I highly recommend it if you liked Bob le Flambeur or Rififi.

--K

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
We now have actual dates for these, via the Home Vision site:

Fighting Elegy, Youth of the Beast: January 11
Casque d'or, Kagemusha, Touchez pas au grisbi: January 18

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Casque d'Or has a $39.95 tag; I wonder if it will be a 2-disc with a Becker documentary?

Kagemusha, at 180-miuntes, is as expected a 2-disc, with the film on disc 1 and on disc 2...? ;) Some great extras, I'll bet.

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
Casque d'Or

Special Features

New, restored high-definition digital transfer

Audio commentary by film scholar Peter Cowie

1995 video interview with actor Serge Reggiani1963 interview with actress Simone Signoret from the French television program Cinépanorama

Excerpt from an episode of the French television series Cinéastes de notre temps, dedicated to Jacques Becker

Rare, silent behind-the-scenes footage of Becker on the set, with commentary by film scholar Philip Kemp

New essay by Kemp

New and improved English subtitle translation

Kagemusha

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:

New, restored high-definition digital transfer enhanced for widescreen televisions

Audio commentary by Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince (The Warrior’s Camera: The Cinema of Akira Kurosawa)

A 40-minute documentary on the making of Kagemusha, part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create

Helping a Master: Coppola, Lucas, and Kagemusha, new video interviews with executive producers Francis Ford Coppola and George Lucas

Image: Kurosawa’s Continuity, a new video piece that reconstructs Kagemusha through Kurosawa’s paintings and sketches

A booklet featuring new essays by scholars Darrell Davis and Peter Grilli and biographical sketches by Japanese film historian Donald Richie

New and improved English subtitle translation

More!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks