5 months without a HT. (long)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Clinton McClure, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    In February, after having to take a huge pay cut ($10/hr dropped to $6/hr) just to get a full time job with insurance, I moved back in with my mom while my dad is stationed in Iraq. I simply could no longer afford to pay the bills month-month. I moved a few things with me and the rest stayed behind, locked up and secure. One of the things I left in storage was my HT. I didn't realize until yesterday, but I've been without it for 5 months now. My mom has a DVD player hooked to her 25" console (dinosaur) tv via RF input. The picture is small and fuzzy and the sound is mono, but I'm surviving. My mom knows how much I'm into HT and how much I miss having my HT hooked up but she doesn't have enough space in the living room for me to move in my equipment.

When I moved in, the plan was that I'd sleep in the laundry room on a small bed (not much bigger than a cot) and we would build two new rooms onto the house this summer. One would be a new laundry room so I could turn the old laundry room into a bigger bedroom and the other would be an extension onto my bedroom...a separate small living space big enough to put a couch, a chair or two and a tv.

Since I work evenings and spend my off days at my girlfriend's place, I don't get to see much of the construction taking place. I don't want to get in the workers' way so I don't go in to look at the room while they're working on it during the day.

Since the construction began taking place, my mom and I have switched rooms. I sleep in her bedroom at night and she sleeps in the laundry room. It's easier that way because she gets up at 5:45 every morning, well before the workers arrive and I sleep until about 11 (or whenever the workers wake me up hammering and sawing).

Today it was raining so I didn't go out... I got up about 11:30 and my mom got home for lunch shortly after noon. She said she wanted to show me something in the (old) laundry room and wanted me to measure to make sure a ceiling fan would fit where she wanted it.

Now, bear in mind, I had not seen the new room area in about a month. The last time I had seen it, it was all just framework with no walls. I walked in and the first thing I noticed is that there is a slightly dropped ceiling at one end of the room with recessed canister lights (which can be rotated 180°) and are hooked to a dimmer switch. She pointed to it and said "I think there would be a good place for your big screen tv and front speakers."
    The back of the room has been broken up into two separate rooms, a storage closet and a private bathroom. She walked to the middle of the room and said, "I think you can move your loveseat about here and put your surround speakers behind it."

I couldn't believe it!!!! Without me knowing, my mom had built for me a HT room onto her house under the guise of a separate living quarters. It completely lightened my day and made me forget about missing my HT. She tells me that with any luck, the room will be finished in about another 3 weeks and I can begin moving my equipment it.

Sorry the post was so long, I just had to share. It's the simple things that keep me grounded. Thanks and have a great day!

Clint

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

You have a great Mom! But I hope the room is multi-purpose and can be used for other things, because I assume your plan to live their is only temporary until you find a better paying job, correct, or is this a longer term arrangement?

3. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    The plan is to live there only until I can get a better paying job and move back into my other house. (But in this economy, it may be a year or two, who knows...) The way the room is designed, it can be used for other things, but my mom plans to use it for a private den/tv room when I move back out.

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I think it's a nice thing for her to do. It looks to me like she's very happy to have a man in the house when your dad is away.

OR

She many hope you leave the system behind when she moves out[​IMG]

Brent

5. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    [​IMG] That's a good one, Brent. Ha ha ha!!

6. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

how great! Mom's are so cool.[​IMG]

7. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Gosh you have a cool mom! The most mine can say about my HT hobby is "he has all this stuff around the living room[​IMG] " that's really cool that she did that for you. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

Sweet!

My mom still hasn't even figured out that the sound from her VCR is going through the stereo.

But I've got you beat...I had to move to Chicago from Connecticut 2.5 years ago...I left all my CD's and HT equipment there, thinking I would be returning. It's still there, and I am not. 2.5 years without even a freakin' stereo. I shall be back by fall though!

9. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    Ack! How do you do it, Michael?

10. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle