What's new

5 Kubricks coming to Blu-ray/HD-DVD 10/23 (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I feel the same. But i dont know if i want to go Blu, or DVD?

In unsure HD media days, good ol' DVD is here.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Just out of curiosity, how did the Paramount decision sway you toward HD-DVD on these Warner releases that are coming out for both formats? Do you think that WB will be next to drop Blu-Ray support?

I ordered mine on Blu-Ray (as of now, no other choice for HD)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

True, but at this point, I don't see it as a complete 180 for the chances for HD-DVD to win the format war either. Blu-Ray still has more exclusive studio support. I guess we're not supposed to be talking about this here.

But, Ron, if you could answer, I am just simply curious why the anouncement clenched your decision

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Indiana Jones?

Off topic but if that why, I read this at AICN "I then asked when the INDIANA JONES set would hit and if it would be exclusive to HD. Rob responded that on the films that Spielberg, however, is a huge supporter of Blu-Ray and always has been and wants the titles to be available in both formats - so those will be cross-platform titles. However, the rest of Dreamworks, Viacom/Paramount's world... those will be HD DVD exclusive for the next few years at least."

"All of this anti-WB whining has to do with one thing only, bit rate worship."

I have to say, I agree. I also dont have a 60 inch TV, but have been suprised by some of the bad pq comments Ive seen regarding some WB releases (more at AVS than here) as IVe been happy and in a few cases completely blown away by the way some of their discs have looked.

Dammit I wish Barry Lyndon was being released too.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Truthfully, I have been collecting HD-DVD titles for the past year.

I am about to take possession of my first BR player in the next
3-4 weeks.

I started buying a few BR titles actually under the "hunch" that
this might be the format that wins this war.

However, this Paramount announcement has indeed made me
more cautious about putting all my eggs in the BR basket.

Do I think WB will be next in dropping support? They very well
could, but at this point, I highly doubt they would. So, no, I have
no "inside" information here that should concern anyone.

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator
Will both the censored and uncensored "Eyes Wide Shut" be presented in HD? Or only one in HD and the other in SD? Since only a few scenes were altered for censorship, I would think that seamless branching could be used so both versions could be shown in HD on one disc. A confirmation here would be appreciated.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hiya Kevin!

Seems pretty straight-forward to me that if you
buy this on HD both versions will be presented
as such.

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Ron, I also think that's most likely the case. But there's always a chance they'll do something crazy. After all, they altered the film in the first place out of complete disrespect of Kubrick and his fans. They may still want people to see the altered version by NOT promoting the unaltered version -- such as relegating it as a "bonus feature" in SD, and/or putting a disclaimer at the beginning that says something like "all audio commentaries and bonus features contains opinions and views that are not necessarily those of Warner Bros., ESPECIALLY the bonus features, which contain uncensored, prurient, unwholesome material that geeky male fanatics have been bugging us about so this is just to get them off our backs..."

You never know!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I can confirm on the packaging that Eyes Wide Shut Blu Ray is listed as R-rated.

I won't be able to watch it until later this week, but since I don't even know what to look for to be able to tell if it's a packaging error and it is the uncensored version, I won't really be of much help. But the BD packaging itself says the feature film is R with the disclaimer that bonus features aren't rated.

EDIT!! - in the fine print, it does say that both R and UR versions are on there.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hi Carlo!

I think some people have reported that on the disc itself, they could only find the uncut version, (which is fine by me, actually...)

:)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Unfortunately, the packaging is incorrect, as both versions do not appear on the disc in any format.

Fortunately, the version that is present is the uncut version.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, the DVDBeaver comments for A Clockwork Orange are a little disappointing. I'll have to screen Eyes Wide Shut very closely to, um, judge the, uh, video quality.

I promise I'm not drooling over the prospect of Nicole Kidman on my new SXRD set...now where's that damned "crossed fingers" icon...

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Hmm, the DVDBeaver comments for A Clockwork Orange are a little disappointing."

I just dont get it.

I thought it looked great

The brightness is my camera, not the movie.

The pics dont do it justice. You can see every wrinkle in moms leather vest with this disc. I think they did a good job the film elements used here.

2001 looks the best. Beautiful. It looked a bit dark in spots, but overall it looked wonderful to me.
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/7/75/htf_imgcache_14931.jpeg] [/url]
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/5/56/htf_imgcache_14932.jpeg] [/url]

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/e/ee/htf_imgcache_14933.jpeg] [/url]
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/0/0f/htf_imgcache_14934.jpeg] [/url]
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/0/09/htf_imgcache_14935.jpeg] [/url]
(You can see EVERY wrinkle)
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/7/76/htf_imgcache_14936.jpeg] [/url]

They all look MUCH nicer than these crappy pics.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I was actually so in awe of holding 2001 in my hands(the third disc I picked out), that I walked away and towards the counter completely forgetting about Eyes Wide Shut. I didnt realize that Id forgotten about it until I was on my way home.

I had to go back today to get one.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
any confirmation if full metal jacket is a new HD transfer or the old (crappy) one?

Is 2001 sourced from large-format elements or from a 35mm release print?

Any reviews yet? Did anyone get screeners in advance of release?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

David, I heard from a reputable source outside the studio that this
new HD transfer of Full Metal Jacket is not that great.

I haven't seen it yet, but I know someone that has and is in
the capacity to judge these kind of things rather well.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I've seen a couple of folks on AVS state that it is an improvement over the old transfer. I picked this and the rest of the Kubricks up at Best Buy yesterday, but I did not have a chance to look at FMJ. I probably won't either until my plasma returns from its second trip to the shop. Long story. :angry:

I did watch enough of A Clockwork Orange to verify it was 1.66:1, and I watched all of The Shining last night, which looked awesome. I've been waiting to see The Shining in its theatrical aspect ratio since 1999, so it was quite an experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks