What's new

5 Disc progressive as good or better than RP-56? RP-91? (1 Viewer)

shankar

Stunt Coordinator
OK. No one mentioned the Toshiba SD3755. I have it and I love it. While I cannot compare it with tha panny's I definitely feel that it's a good player. Many say that it has the dreaded chroma bug, but I cannot find it. I played the "ZORG" scene in Fifth Element and it had no streaks. May be the new generation of Zoran's have dealt with it.

It cost me only $251 at onecall.

Shankar

peter_i

Second Unit
I picked up the sd5700 at a dealer the other day and am going to play it through an older 50 inch Toshiba. Will I able to test to see the chroma bug on this display through regular play or do I need to use progressive scan? What dvd's would I use to test it and what do I look for? I know that 2 of the dvd's that can be used are Toy Story and the Fifth Element, true?

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The Toshiba SD3755 is not available in Canada, unfortunately.

peter_i, for the chroma bug, just look carefully at the edges around the red Toy Story logo. They should be totally smooth. I suspect you'll see that they are not.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Peter, if you are going to use the MP3 playback try it out quickly. I have not found any toshiba players which can playback any (and I've tried about 30 disc with different encoders and bitrate combo) mp3 CD-R discs. All have a warble sound as if underwater or something. Very annoying.

I just ordered a new RP91 yesterday. I'm happy with the openbox one I've been checking out, but this one has got to go back.

peter_i

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies.

JohnnyG, thanks for the quotes but these other guys quoted me a few hundred less even though your deal was very hard to match. Don't tell me now that you could have gone lower, I'll have a heart attack. You were right, they gave me a quote that was too good to believe because it was wrong. The guy told me he quoted the wrong tv to me - yeah, right!

The question I had was how will I find out if the Panny rp82 gets released and when, the exact specs on it, etc. The dealer told me he would accept the toshiba as a tradeback once the 82's came in so I'm really anxious to find out more info on them.

shankar

Stunt Coordinator
ChrisPC
My TV is Toshiba TN61X81 4:3 61". Beleive me I looked hard at the Zorg logo after reading about the chroma bug issue in the Link Removed website. I did not see those streaks. I promise.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Does anyone know anything about the Yamaha DVD-CX1? I'm looking at that player, as well as the Panasonic CP-72. Although I don't have it yet, I'll be hooking either of them up to a Toshiba 50HDX82. I've got a Yamaha RX-V1200 receiver that I'm very happy with, so I'm hoping to hear good things about the CX1, but I can't find any reviews!

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
Does anyone know anything about the Yamaha DVD-CX1
I own one. Awesome picture, great DVD-audio sound (decent redbook CD), no Chroma Bug that I can see ( I am fairly sensitive to it), changer and disc functions are a little slow, but not that bad for a 5-disc changer. It has a video-off setting, and a very robust power supply with detachable cord. It weighs 23 pounds, very hefty compared to other players generally in this price class. The remote sucks, though, and the onscreen menus don't make much sense at first. It has a 12 bit DAC, and the Sage/faroudja de-interlacing seals the deal for me.

I am still waiting on a major review of this player. It is very, very dificult to find out anything about it.

Cheers

Andrew B.

Eric Sevigny

Stunt Coordinator
peter_i:
"Does anyone know when the RP-82 will be released in Canada and for how much, Canadian?"
I did talk to a few people locally, Sears says they will have the RP-82 at 399 CAD$ coming august 16, other places I have been said anything from 375 CAD$ to 399 CAD$, but no one knew when they would get some. I ordered mine from Next Big Thing electronics for 369 CAD$ and free shipping (Link Removed). They said they were expecting them this week... We'll see.
John Kotches:
From what I remember reading here and over at avsforum, the RP-56 has a *different* MPEG decoder then the RP-91. The new RP-62 has the same decoder as the RP-56, and the new RP-82 has the same decoder as the RP-91 (top of the line Matsushita). Also, new models use the arguably superior Faroudja deinterlacer chip, none use the Genesis one (except the still in production RP-91).
JohnnyG:
"The Toshiba SD3755 is not available in Canada, unfortunately"
Is that the 5 disc changer? I saw a Toshiba SD3805 changer locally (Futureshop), I am guessing it's the same model... Could be wrong.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I saw a Toshiba SD3805 changer locally (Futureshop), I am guessing it's the same model.
It actually replaces the 3755. You'd think it was a 5-disc version of the SD3800, but it only has a 27MHz 10-bit DAC ('ColorStream Pro' instead of 'Super ColorStream Pro'). Who knows why they did this. Are you less of a videophile if you want a 5-disc changer?

Peter Hunt

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think anyone knows the answer to this but if I missed it I apologize.
DVD-RP82 vs DVD-CP67K
Is there a video performance difference? I'd love a 5 disc for a few extra bucks but not at the cost of degrading video. Comments? Thanks ;)

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The CP67 is a 5-disc version of the RP62. The RP82 has DVD-Audio and the 5-disc version of that is the CP72 but that unit isn't coming to Canada. I guess Panasonic figures that nobody would want to put more than one DVD-Audio disc in a player at a time?!

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Eastview Electronics in Scarborough will have it by the end of the 2nd week of August for about $385 taxes included.

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
There's massive discussion about the RP-82 all over the place. Search around on this forum and AVSForum. General impressions are that it's very good indeed.

As for the CP-72, the big question is whether the video path (esp. MPEG decoder) will be the same as the RP-82 or the RP-62. If the RP-82, then it's my new player.

Dunno why they wouldn't ship that one to Canada. Who can understand these things?

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
David, Eastview will have what? The CP72? If that's what they told you, they're wrong...especially at that price!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks