What's new

5 disc players (1 Viewer)

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for a 5 disc player, and I'm looking on the very cheap side.
I have looked at the panasonic f87 and the sony dvpnc875. I just got confirmation from Sony the the DVPNC875 does NOT have multi disc shuffle, which to me, kind of defeats the purpose of a 5 disc player. Has anyone heard anything about the panasonic f87 or any other decent 5 disc?

Thanks in advance

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I don't know of any 5 disc player that will shuffle tracks from all 5 discs, many will shuffle from each individual disc. Shuffling single tracks among all 5 discs never made any sense at all to me due to the time necessary to change from one disc to another.

To me the main purpose of a 5 disc changer is the ability to load 5 different movies or all the discs in a multidisc set so as not to have to get up and swap discs in the middle of something like LOTR extended editions etc.

I had a Panny CP-72 changer with Faruodja chip, died after a couple of years. It wouldn't shuffle play individual tracks among all 5 discs either.

I have one of the current single disc Pannys, with the same video circuitry as the f87. It's good enough for the 27 inch analog set in the bedroom, but on the bigscreen in the family room it's a bit blurry and colors aren't well rendered--sorta posterized.

I recently bought the Sony 875 and am quite happy with it, it's de-interlacing looks as good to me as the Faroudja based CP-72 did, and the 12 bit 108mhz video DAC gives a gorgeously smooth sharp picture with excellent color.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Onkyo CP 802 and Integra 8.5 might be some nice players you want to take a look at... The Integra has 108 on video DACS vs. the Onkyo's 54 and some other bells and whistles.

You can compare for yourself at www.onkyousa.com and www.integrahometheater.com respectively. Maybe one of these players will meet your needs.

Yamaha has also come out with a new changer, the DV-C750 that looks very promising. Brand new!

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/DVD/DVD_main3.htm

Note: Yamaha is a little slow on updating their site. ;)

Good luck! :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The F87 has "CD mode" that will skip DVDs and play only from only CDs, but I haven't tried to see if it will shuffle all (it probably will in CD mode). When you insert a disc, it reads it and determines what kind of disc it is. It takes a long time to read the discs initially, but disc to disc time is pretty good after that.

Most 5 disc DVD players will not shuffle all due to the fact that you may have DVDs and CDs loaded, but CD mode is a nice feature on the F87. PQ is quite good and overall I feel it's a very good player for around $120.

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just picked up the panasonic f87 last night at CompUSA for $92, a manager's special. It was so cheap I figured I should take a gamble on it and see how it is.

Max F

Second Unit
Let us know how you like it. I would like the option of random play on all discs too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks