5 Disc DVD vs. One Disc Dvd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_Lawrance, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Bob_Lawrance

Bob_Lawrance Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering, is there any difference in the two.

Thanks

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Bob,
    One holds only one disc, and the other holds 5 (or 7 if it's a JVC). There's nothing about the changer mechanism that detracts from audio or video performance vs single disc players at the price level at which these are found.

I used to think a dvd changer was a kinda silly idea until I got one. The convenience of being able to load all the discs in a 2 disc or multidisc set at once is something I don't want to give up.

When you get into the arena of mega-buck high-end players ($15k) all you'll find is single disc models, mainly because buyers at this end of the market demand precision transport specs not attainable by changers.

3. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

While I love having a carousel player for CD's, I have found that I do not miss having a multi-disc player for DVD's. I used to have a two tray Toshiba SD-6200 before upgrading to my current Panasonic RP-91. I rarely used the second tray (usually only for two disc sets). After spending 2+ hours watching a film, I usually need to get up anyway, so swapping discs to watch extras is no big deal.

If you plan on using the player for both DVD's and CD's, then ignore the above. I have a separate CD carousel player, and could not imagine going back to a single disc CD player.