What's new

5 disc carousel changers - which is best? (1 Viewer)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Fairly new to this, fellas. I've spent six months researching HT and there's always something new to learn! :)
I'm getting to the point of adding a 5 disc carousel changer to my team. It'd be paired with a Denon 1802 receiver.
First off, I'd appreciate it if some of you could throw some recommendations of changers, or even recommendations of what not to look for. I just started browsing, and I'm assuming an optical or coaxial output would be optimal. I've seen good about Harman Kardon. Denon look appealing, except for it's apparent lack of digital outs on base model(s?).
It's been mentioned to me in the past that with Sony, "You can usually find better for cheaper." However, after running a search in this section of the forum, I've read a few good things about their changers.
I'm open for, and willing to listen to, suggestions.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Adam, what is your budget? Since you are using an A/V receiver, you should get a changer with a digital output. Most models have at least one digital output these days. Regarding Denon, the DCM-270 has no digital output, but the '370 for $250-300 has a coaxial digital output.

I have never been impressed with Harman/Kardon carousel changers. The current model, the FL 8380 would not be my first choice. That's just me.

As for a past notion with Sony that "You can usually find better for cheaper", I disagree. I once owned two Sony CDP-CA80ES carousel changers (previous generation), and it was a very solid player. Nowadays, I don't think you will find a better carousel changer than the current Sony ES models. If you can spend the money, the Sony SCD-C222ES ($500 retail, as low as $320 from an authorized mail-order dealer) and 'C555ES ($800 retail, under $600 by mail) are excellent CD changers. In addition, they play both stereo and multi-channel SACDs. Build quality is excellent on both models, and they both have optical and coaxial digital outputs and come with a five-year warranty. Note that the digital outputs only work with CDs. You have to use the analog outputs with SACDs. The 'C555ES is the better model if you can spend the extra money.

If the ES models are out of your budget, consider the Sony SCD-CE775. It too plays stereo and multi-channel SACDs and sells for $200 or less. It has just an optical digital output and comes with a one-year warranty. For around $200, the 'CE775 is an excellent value. Build quality is average, but the performance is solid.

Other carousel changers to consider, none of which play SACDs, are the Sony CDP-CA70ES ($300 retail), Marantz CC3000 ($200), CC4000 ($250), and CC4000OSE ($400), and the NAD 523 (around $330). All of these players have their merits, but I would still go with one of the Sony SACD players.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
I'm waiting for July on the progressive Sony DVP-NC655P 5-disc changer. Just hoping it has disc position memory and no chroma bug.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Oh shoot. Sorry, Phil. I forgot to mention that I'm looking for a 5 disc CD changer.
Thanks for the reply, Keith. I'm working around a bit of a budget. Anything over $300 will probably not be considered. I'll take a further look into the Sony line.
Any further comments and opinions are welcomed. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Adam, I understand your budget constraints. If you have a Tweeter in your area, check out the 'CE775 and 'C222ES. Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480; authorized dealer) is selling the 'C222ES for $320, which is an incredible price (remember it retails for $500). If you can stretch the budget $20, that's the way I would go. Here is a link to the 'C222ES at Crutchfield:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...CDC222&o=m&a=0

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info, Keith. BTW, I've never even heard of Tweeter. It's an hour drive to the nearest Best Buy. :D
Also, I'm not sure that I own any SCAD's nor will I possibly ever. That feature will probably not be the deciding factor.
Would you be so kind to provide any links to Marantz retailers? :) Sometimes I have a hard time finding places that sell them. Other times I come across them online when I'm not particularly looking for them.
As it stands, the Marantz CC3000/4000 looks like the player for me. However, I'll continue to look, ponder, and weigh all my options. That's half the fun, for me. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Adam, Tweeter is a rather large chain across the US. They are in eastern Pennsylvania, for example. Where are you located? Tweeter isn't ultra-high-end, but is a definite step up from Best Buy and Circuit City. Anyway, someone mentioned on Audio Asylum that Oade Bros. is now selling the 'C222ES for $295. Here is the link:
http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t.pl?f=hirez&m=79603
You may say now that you would not listen to SACDs, but you might consider it as an option. The 'C222ES is an excellent CD changer anyway.
As for the Marantz CC3000, it is a good CD changer for the money. The only authorized Marantz dealer on the web that I am aware of is www.hifi.com . They have the CC3000. It is listed for $200 on their web site, but they are advertising that everything is on sale. You have to call for the sale price. Here is a link to the CC3000 there:
http://www.hifi.com/store/category.c...000&type=store

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Thanks again. :)
I'm about an hour west by west by west by west by northwest of Scranton. I'm not aware of any Tweeters, anyway.
.. appreciate the links.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Adam, and back and forth we go! ;) I have an idea where you are from. I did my undergrad. at Penn State, my parents live outside of Philly, and my girlfriend is from Pittsburgh, so I know my way around Pennsylvania, at least somewhat. Anyway, I'm glad to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks