5 coax cables. What are the for?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by JodyP, Oct 26, 2005.

1. JodyP

JodyP Auditioning

I'm learning but perhaps a little to late. I am in the process of building a new house and had my HT/Music Room pre wired. There are 5 coax cables running from where my flat panel HDTV will be mounted to where the receiver,DVD etc... will be located.

I'm assuming that three are for component video and one is for digital audio. What would the fifth cable be used for and what about other sources? That seems to allow only one connection. It seems I will need several for DVD,CATV etc...

Is video up conversion possible through component connections and that is what was intended?

To bad I'm just starting to figure this out as they just finished the drywall.

TIA

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    My guess it is done for a VGA cable. If they used 75 ohm cables, its fine to use for a VGA connection or use 3 of them for component and the other 2 for analog outs from the TV to your rec'r. You may need an outboard video switcher depending on what you want to hook-up or use what switching capabilities you have in your rec'r. If you don't have a rec'r yet, you may want to carefully choose one that will meet your needs. You can also get adapters to turn 2 of the cables into an 'S' connection (e.g. places like milestek.com). From what it sounds like they did, I think it would be best to use switching capabilites and then have one cable to the TV.

3. JodyP

JodyP Auditioning

Thanks for the reply Phil! My guess is that 3 are for component video and the two others are for analog audio as you suggested. I'm still wondering if one of the two may be used for digital audio instead of using both for analog?

Please correct me if I'm wrong about this possibility as I'm still learning about how all of these connections work.

I thought I was fairly competent about AV matters but much has changed in the ten years since I last went down this road.

I think I've learned enough on these forums to sound like one of those guys who thinks he knows what he's talking about but really hasn't a clue. LOL

I will be using a Denon 3805 for my receiver, either a Denon 1920 or 2910 for DVD and probably Dish Network with DVR if this helps in anyones assessment.

Thanks again!

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

A Denon 3805 will upconvert all lower video connections to component. If you do all your switching through the Denon, you only need the component connection to the TV.

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Also, it could have been for RGBHV (component sync signals.)

Leo

6. JodyP

JodyP Auditioning

I guess I'm just wondering if this was the best approach for the application? Would this be the typical approach used by a high end AV installer?

7. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    75 ohm cable can be used for digital connection w/o a problem. Are you saying the TV has a digital audio output that you want to put into the rec'r?

8. JodyP

JodyP Auditioning

No, I'm just wondering if 5 coax cables are going to do the job properly for audio and video considering my setup?

9. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Well the reason I said 3 for component in to the TV and 2 for analog audio out of the TV is that most TVs have these connections. If you wanted sound from the TV tuner watching TV, this could come in handy. I'm not familiar with the Denon but from Jeff's post above you can get all the video inputs thru the Denon to go into the TV via a single component cable. The only other thing I could think of is if you were using the TV using its tuner (vs. a cable or satellite box) and wanted sound). If you have an external tuner (cable or satellite) then you would just run it thru the receiver and seem to not require the other connections?

10. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I work as an A/V installer, and here is how we generally do it-

Three of the cables are for a component video signal.

One is for a direct cable line to the TV for either analog cable, cable from the cable box, or cable so you can use a CableCard, if applicable.

The last one is for the onscreen display of your receiver.

We would also usually run a thinner wire with two or four conductors for audio, so you would not need to turn on the receiver to watch a DVD or cable/satellite in hi-def.

11. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Thanks James, make sense now.

12. JodyP

JodyP Auditioning

Lightbulb moment!

Thanks guys.

So all 5 cables are video.

I guess I was thinking all along that sound for cable/sat would come from the tv as I have a straight cable connection to my tv right now (no set top box) so I have to run audio from the tv to the receiver.

I completely forgot that I will have audio outputs from the Cable/sat box which will run to the receiver just as the dvd does.