What's new

5-channels of amps & no processor (1 Viewer)

Martice

Screenwriter
I have (1) 3-channel amp and (1) 2-channel amp. I'm looking for a processor that'll do DD / DTS without breaking the bank. I was considering buying a Denon 2801 just use it as a processor alone. Anyone out there know of any receivers that'll make excellent processors?
Thanks
Darren

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Take a look at the Sony TA-E9000ES pre amp/processor.
Sony ES quality, and if you look around, you can get one for about $1000.
With the latest software rev (!), it even supports THX EX and DTS-ES with a virtual 6.1 mode.
There's also the new Outlaw processor coming. Rotel is an option too.
Why get a receiver and not use its amplification when you can get a very nice pre/pro for not that much more?
------------------

DaleB

Stunt Coordinator
"Why get a receiver and not use its amplification when you can get a very nice pre/pro for not that much more?"
Because there are very fine receivers that have all the preamp features we need, but have less than desirable power output.
Outlaw, NAD, Onkyo, etc. make nice sounding receivers that may only lack some refinements like adjustable crossover settings, and can be had for less than $600.
Saving more bucks for a nice hefty amplifier.
It is all a matter of choice. Plus, the recevier can still be a receiver if the amp fails. Of course, we want don't want to plan for failure! ; ))
[Edited last by DaleB on August 09, 2001 at 04:15 PM]

Martice

Screenwriter
I see so many people buying and trading and trading and buying receivers that it could get crazy sometimes. I remember not too long ago when the Denon 3300 was very popular and it was also upgradadable for the coming formats. Unfortunately, it seems that people are now skipping that feature and just upgrading the units all together and we still haven't had to use those inputs yet. I hear people saying that they like this unit because it sounds warmer than the other unit. Well I say, just buy the amplification once(separate amps) and buy a receiver with a good processor and don't worry about the amps anymore. I could buy a Denon 2801 and still have a processor that's just as good as some of these other processors out there now. Let's not even talk about buying a second hand 3801 because some guy heard that the new 3802 sounds slightly better. If you had good amplification in the first place it really wouldn't be that much of a big deal and the only thing that would matter is the processing. I'm hoping to catch one of these 3801's out there hopefully. This brings me to my question again. Does anybody know of a receiver that would make a very good processor? I prefer not to go more than $600-$700.
Thanks
Darren
[Edited last by Martice on August 09, 2001 at 05:11 PM]
[Edited last by Martice on August 09, 2001 at 05:21 PM]

DaleV

Agent
Yes, why not look at the Onkyo 696. I'm going to be adding either the Outlaw 750 or Rotel RMB1075 to mine. Even as a receiver it's rated really high in its processing capabilities. Only question concerning it was power and that ones still in the air. Saving money for the amp now, so until then very satisfied with its sound.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
J&R Music in nearby manhattan (www.jandr.com) has the clean sounding Harman Kardon Signature 2.0 prepro for a sickly low $399 (retail $2500).

JohanK

Second Unit
Ricky, can you please clarify for me the situation with the HK with regards to analog bypass? Does this prepro have it or not? If so, on which inputs? Thanx.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
DaleB,
You are correct about many receivers being more than adequate as pre/pros, but I think the point was that the original poster already had the power amps.

Martice

Screenwriter
I just read up on the Harmon Kardon 2.0. It really seems like a nice unit but from one reviewer on AudioReview.com said that it doesn't allow you to set your mains to large setting and use a subwoofer at the same time. For my preference this is a problem. If anyone has information that'll shed light on this issue please let me know.

J

John Morris

Martice: I am doing exactly what you have mentioned... using a Denon 3801 as a preamp processor. Suprisingly, it actually is very clean sounding as a pre/pro and that gives you the option of using the two rear center receiver amp channels to try out 6.1/7.1 if you can round up another speaker or two. If you are so inclined, you can probably buy a new one online for $700 or a mint used one for less than $600. That's what I did and I am very happy with its' performance.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!
[Edited last by John Morris on August 09, 2001 at 06:33 PM]

Martice

Screenwriter
There goes another notch towards the Denon unit.... It seems that Denon is really popular with it's receivers and the 3801 should excel for movie duty. I'll be using it in my 2-channel setup while bypassing my 2-channel pre amp all together. I really don't want to use Sony receivers. Nothing personal but they seem to get really hot, even when it's idle.
[Edited last by Martice on August 09, 2001 at 06:54 PM]

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Darren (Martice)- Aahhh. The Sony pre amp has had 3 software upgrades released by Sony during its still current life. 2 of the 3 were free. (I have heard that software upgrades are not as easy and frequent to come by for Denon receivers. But I don't know.)
If you're set on a receiver, I'll throw Yamaha into the mix. Best DSP processing that I've personally heard (and highly regarded throughout the audio/video press). I used an RX-V793 a while ago as a pre amp.
------------------

Martice

Screenwriter
YOu know the only Sony piece I would consider is the 9000es pre amp. It is very intriguing and it seems that the ones who've bought this model early on unfortunately had to go through the grow pains until the upgrades made it a hard to beat unit. I won't rule this unit out if I can find a very good price for it.

TomH

Second Unit
Audition the Sony 9000 and the Denon receivers. I felt that the feel and build quality of the 9000 is superior.
Or just wait for the Outlaw 950.
Tom

J

John Morris

Martice: since you seem to be most interested in your 2 channel playback, and not in pre/pro frills, I'd also recommend the Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080r. It is extremely clean and audiophile like in its' analog bypass mode for music. I would still be using this unit except for my desire for 7.1 movie viewing. You can also probably find this unit used for around $500 or new for around $650. As for upgrades, who needs upgrades when the company gets it right the first time.... Finally, I am also eagerly waiting for the Outlaw 950. It should be a real market killer!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation154
Recent bookmarks