5 channel power amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig_Kg, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Has anyone used these 5 channel power amps and if so, what are your opinions?

TA-N9000ES, AMC 2N100-5, Rotel RMB-1075 in order of increasing cost. I am intending to use it with 4 - 8 ohm speakers driven by a Sony STR-DA5ES or Rotel RSP-1066.

2. DanielKim

DanielKim Stunt Coordinator

Hey Craig. I have the STR-DA5ES and a Parasound HCA855 powering my NHT SuperOne's (1 for each channel). The combo is super cool! I had a Yamaha 5490 before this setup and all I have to say is the Yamaha 5490 can not even come close to the combo. Night and day difference in sound!! Way more detail, more dynamic, better imaging. It's great. My girlfriend does not mind anymore when I crank the volume a little. Heh. Time to pop in Behind Enemy Lines. I'll bet you'll be happy with any of the equipment listed.

Dan

3. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

I would consider the Rotel 1075, Parasound HCA 855 or the B&K AV5000.

The Sony TA-N9000es is a good amp IF you use it for 2 or 3 speakers. You can bridge 2 channels for 200 wpc for 2 speakers and use the 5th channel for the center. I would not really recommend this amp to drive 5 speakers because it does not have the best power reserves IMHO. Of course, if you have some REALLY efficient speakers (say 90db and over), you will be ok but I would not use it to drive 5 4 ohm speakers. The best thing about this amp is its extra 2 channel input for a seperate 2 channel preamp.

Finding a used Sherbourn 5/1500 would be even better.

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Are these the only amps you are considering or are you open to other suggestions? If you are open, what's your budget?