What's new

5-channel equalizing of receiver without seperate amp (1 Viewer)

I have a Sony STR-DA777ES and a few pro-audio EQs by Alesis. Can I utilize the 6 channel pre-outs and the 6 channel inputs on my receiver as sort of a 6-channel eq loop so I can use the equalizers without having to use an outboard 5 channel amplifier? Any possibilities? If not, why aren't higher end receivers being made with this option available?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The only way to equalize all channels is to insert between the pre-outs and amplifier. Some receivers have pre-outs and main-ins for some channels, and you can insert an equalizer on those channels. For any other channels you would need outboard amplifiers. I’ve never seen a receiver with ins and outs for all channels.

You can’t do a loop between the six-channel connections. The six-channel input is functionally another analog input, like CD, VCR, etc. It would not be compatible with component with a single-cable digital connection.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Wayne is correct.

The only receivers I know with a full complement of main-ins are the H/K 520 (5 main ins) and the NAD T762 (6 main ins).

The Sony does not have main-ins, so it would require a circuit modification to enable you to do this, or an external amp.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The only receivers I know with a full complement of main-ins are the H/K 520 (5 main ins) and the NAD T762 (6 main ins).
If you are into antiques, the Marantz SR-96 also has 5CH pre-out and main-inputs.

I have my Audio Control Bijoux connected that way.

As for the NAD, I may be wrong but I thought it only had them on the 3 front channels.

I have been thinking of upgrading to a new receiver, but the lack of pre-out, main-in is a total show stopper. And the HK 520 is no longer available.

Looks like I will have to do separates if/when the time comes.

BGL

Jonathan M

Second Unit
The NAD T752 has pre-outs/main-ins for the front 3 channels only.

The NAD T762, however, has 6 channel main-ins.

I agree with the sentiments that the lack of main ins is a bit of a show stopper as well. I guess the number of people doing biamping and/or active equalization is pretty low. Ofcourse, once multichannel digital crossovers and eqs start becoming common place and cheap, that'll be the way to go anyway.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
It seems that pre-out-main ins used to be more common place on the older pro-logic models. My Pioneer Elite from '94 had them for all channels except the sub.

As far as the multi channel eq thing. I know JVC latest upper end offerings have 3 band parametic eq's for all channels. Pio. Elites have multi channel tone controls.
It seems that they are going for more internal and the auto acoustic calibraion set up thing than allowing you do out-board equalizations.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Other Receivers with Pre-outs and Main ins on all channels:
Harman Kardon AVR8000 (I have this unit)
Marantz SR9200

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The NAD T762, however, has 6 channel main-ins.
I have found my new receiver.

Downloaded the manual, and yup, it sure does have a full set of pre outs/main-ins. Interestingly, it does say on page 8 that it only has them for the front 3, but page 7, and the diagram clearly shows a full set. I assume the note on page 8 is just a cut and paste job from the lower models. Ya-Hoo!

And just to go off on a tangent, what a great manual! Obviously written by someone who's first language is English. Even their on-screen GUI appears clear and consise, if not the sexiest display one ever gazed upon. Three cheers for NAD!

Like most of us, I have suffered through so many ridiculous manuals from the biggies (Sony, Pioneer, etc.). They should all be embarrassed to put a manual out that is NOT written by a native English speaker.

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Both the 510 and the 520 have the pre-out/main-in loop and are usually available at Harmanaudio.com. Great buys.
Thanks for the tip on that. I did not know they could still be had. The refurb is pretty cheap.

I had thought about the 520 back when I was also contemplating an Outlaw 950 (although at that point in time the 950's were still vapor-where). I was really wanting to get a unit with Pro Logic II and DTS.

Anyway, I pretty much stuck with my current rig, and bought a universal player instead (got DTS, did not get PLII, but gained SACD and DVD-A).

I would still like to get a more up to date receiver, though.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
socker_dad
Recent bookmarks