1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

5-channel equalizing of receiver without seperate amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Paul Campbell, May 11, 2003.

1. Paul Campbell

I have a Sony STR-DA777ES and a few pro-audio EQs by Alesis. Can I utilize the 6 channel pre-outs and the 6 channel inputs on my receiver as sort of a 6-channel eq loop so I can use the equalizers without having to use an outboard 5 channel amplifier? Any possibilities? If not, why aren't higher end receivers being made with this option available?

2. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

i don't think so. You'll need the 5ch amp.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The only way to equalize all channels is to insert between the pre-outs and amplifier. Some receivers have pre-outs and main-ins for some channels, and you can insert an equalizer on those channels. For any other channels you would need outboard amplifiers. I’ve never seen a receiver with ins and outs for all channels.

You can’t do a loop between the six-channel connections. The six-channel input is functionally another analog input, like CD, VCR, etc. It would not be compatible with component with a single-cable digital connection.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

Wayne is correct.

The only receivers I know with a full complement of main-ins are the H/K 520 (5 main ins) and the NAD T762 (6 main ins).

The Sony does not have main-ins, so it would require a circuit modification to enable you to do this, or an external amp.

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

6. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

The NAD T752 has pre-outs/main-ins for the front 3 channels only.

The NAD T762, however, has 6 channel main-ins.

I agree with the sentiments that the lack of main ins is a bit of a show stopper as well. I guess the number of people doing biamping and/or active equalization is pretty low. Ofcourse, once multichannel digital crossovers and eqs start becoming common place and cheap, that'll be the way to go anyway.

7. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

It seems that pre-out-main ins used to be more common place on the older pro-logic models. My Pioneer Elite from '94 had them for all channels except the sub.

As far as the multi channel eq thing. I know JVC latest upper end offerings have 3 band parametic eq's for all channels. Pio. Elites have multi channel tone controls.
    It seems that they are going for more internal and the auto acoustic calibraion set up thing than allowing you do out-board equalizations.

8. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Other Receivers with Pre-outs and Main ins on all channels:
    Harman Kardon AVR8000 (I have this unit)
    Marantz SR9200

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

10. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

11. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer