5 - Channel DVD-Audio?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by David Ruiz, Jun 14, 2004.

1. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

When playing Advanced Resolution DVD-Audio, I can only hear:

Front Left/Right
    Rear Left/Right
    And Subwoofer

But I don't hear anything coming out of the CENTER speaker. Sure, when you sit in the "sweet spot" you hear the sound all around, because the speakers are calibrated.

But my question is this: Are *ALL* DVD-Audio Discs, recorded WITHOUT a center channel, or is there something wrong with my system?

The DVD-Audio discs that I tried playing were:

Linkin Park - Reanimation
    Alanis Morissette - Under Rug Swept
    Faith Hill - Cry

Please remember that I am not playing these through DD or DTS. I am playing them with the Advanced Resolution soundtrack.

2. marc

marc Stunt Coordinator

You should all 5 channels. Make sure that you have all of the connection to the amp from you DVD player, ie. front left and right, center, surround left and right and sub. They should all go to the external in composite jacks on the receiver. Also, make sure that you have the setting set for 5 channel input. Hope this helps.

3. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

Well it seems like I have everything hooked up properly.

I should definitely mention that I'm playing DVD audio from my computer using the new "WinDVD 6 Platinum" software which now includes the ability to play back Adv. Res. Audio from DVD-A.

But I have everything hooked up properly, and I can definitely hear the center channel when playing movies using the same exact settings (5.1) it's only when I play a DVD-A disc that the Center channel becomes mute.

Like I said before, you wouldn't notice it at all, if you sit in the sweet spot, but when I got up to put my ear to the center speaker, I noticed it wasn't playing anything at all.

So, you're sure that the DVD-A discs that I listed above, DO have audio recorded in the center channel?

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    some don't. It depends on the authoring. Anywhere from 4.0 to 6.0 can happen

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

How is the audio from your PC connected to your receiver? Do you have an audio card with six separate line level outputs for each channel? If you are using a single digital audiio connection to your receiver/pre-amp, this could be the problem. A DVD-Audio disc will still play when you select the high resolution audio track, but it will get downmixed on the digital audio connection.

6. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

I'm using the "Analog" outputs of the soundcard.

Each analog output has two channels on it.

Front left/right (first output)
    Rear left/right (2nd output)
    Center/Sub (3rd output)

And of course, I have y-cables connecting each output, so that each channel has it's own RCA plug that actually goes into each specific channel on the back of my receiver. I hear all of the channels, even the center, when watching movies, but on DVD-Audio, the only channel missing is the Center (and I can even hear the sub).

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

As Paul said, some discs to not use a center.

I do have the Linkin Park DVD-A, and will check when I have a chance. I don't recall if it uses a center or not.

Do you own a disc with test tones? That might help answer why the center is AWOL. Maybe also swap your Y cabes from channel to channel and see if the center feed from teh Y may be faulty.

BGL

8. Philip>L

Philip>L Stunt Coordinator

Many of my DVD-As also have very low center channel levels. The level is just high enough to anchor the sound to the center.

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Linkin Park most DEFINITELY uses the center channel, including playing some very low bass notes.

Though many surround mixers don't like using the center channel & only put a "ghost" signal there to reassure customers nothing is wrong with their system.

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Linkin Park most DEFINITELY uses the center channel, including playing some very low bass notes.

Though many surround mixers don't like using the center channel & only put a "ghost" signal there to reassure customers nothing is wrong with their system.

11. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Yes, Linkin Park does have sounds to ALL channels. I own it as well. My DVD-A player is a Toshiba, but I remember having to go into the menu system it has to alter the volume levels per each channel within the Advanced Audio settings (DVD-A) perhaps the software has an internal menu like that. otherwise I'd call up the software company and ask them to assist you. perhaps theres a bug, and a patch to match.

12. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Yes, Linkin Park does have sounds to ALL channels. I own it as well. My DVD-A player is a Toshiba, but I remember having to go into the menu system it has to alter the volume levels per each channel within the Advanced Audio settings (DVD-A) perhaps the software has an internal menu like that. otherwise I'd call up the software company and ask them to assist you. perhaps theres a bug, and a patch to match.